Allison 6 Refurb.

A place for DIY project discussions.
Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Allison 6 Refurb.

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

I've also determined that I may have a mains issue. The system sounds excellent late in the evening, but playing the same tracks in the morning results in a flat sound and grittier treble with sibilance more evident on vocals. Soundstage and imaging are also compromised. The only thing that was different was the time of day.

I'm pretty sure a BMU is going to be the recommended solution...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I hope to have a loan one available by the end of Jan.

Simon Hickie

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:14 am I hope to have a loan one available by the end of Jan.
I'd very much like to take advantage of this when available. Naturally a comprehensive review would follow.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Book it in the BMU loan thread then, even though it says not available at the moment. I will forget, and this post will drift down the archive.

Simon Hickie

I found my old Russ Abbott/Conway/Andrews Purifier yesterday (bought for a song a while ago) and put it in my extension block. My conclusions: squashed dynamics, loss of air and atmosphere, vocals rounded off and more muffled, soundstage lowered - in short only bad things happened. Even with the Psvane preamp valves back in (which have a thinner midrange and are more analytical than the Mullards) it was still bad.

They seem to fetch about £150 or so on Fleabay, so a potential chunk off the BMU if it works well.