AVI Lab Series Modifications (less is more)

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: AVI Lab Series Modifications (less is more)

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It would have to be seasoned for a couple of years I would think, but you are the expert.

jayman67
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

if i remember correctly from my cabinet making days for air drying i think its a year for 1inck timber but thats planked,gawd knows how long a trunk would take??
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

ABallagh

Unread post by ABallagh »

karatestu wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:14 pm When are you firing this up Alan ?

I have not yet got round to trying my amps without the input coupling cap, output zobel and inductor. I will remove one at a time and then listen. Input DC blocker will be the first to go as I am sure nothing nasty will happen - my pre has a DC blocking cap on it's output. The zobel will be next after that as I can just disconnect the wire which goes back to the psu 0V. Inductor will be last as I will try and solder a wire in just before it - my amp boards may get sold on at some point and the less component removal I do the better.

Regards, Stu
Sorry Stu I just had to create an exception for emails from this site, there still going to my junk folder......

I am waiting for some LS5 to arrive before I fire it up, Im hoping by the end of the week, all depends how much backlog Doc has I guess.... When I built and modded my JLH Monoblocks I first wound the inductors from solid silver wire in ptfe sleeving, then I just removed them completely and never looked back, I will be leaving the input cap but it wont be a tant, It will be a polyprop, Jantzen do one that will fit and its the same value as the tant, I mean it will fit in the new chassis anyway. Have you measured your pre at switch on from cold and turn off? Still no DC? Had gear with caps on the output that start off with some DC then it goes away, could always do selective start ups though I guess.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

ABallagh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:06 am
karatestu wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:14 pm When are you firing this up Alan ?

I have not yet got round to trying my amps without the input coupling cap, output zobel and inductor. I will remove one at a time and then listen. Input DC blocker will be the first to go as I am sure nothing nasty will happen - my pre has a DC blocking cap on it's output. The zobel will be next after that as I can just disconnect the wire which goes back to the psu 0V. Inductor will be last as I will try and solder a wire in just before it - my amp boards may get sold on at some point and the less component removal I do the better.

Regards, Stu
Sorry Stu I just had to create an exception for emails from this site, there still going to my junk folder......

I am waiting for some LS5 to arrive before I fire it up, Im hoping by the end of the week, all depends how much backlog Doc has I guess.... When I built and modded my JLH Monoblocks I first wound the inductors from solid silver wire in ptfe sleeving, then I just removed them completely and never looked back, I will be leaving the input cap but it wont be a tant, It will be a polyprop, Jantzen do one that will fit and its the same value as the tant, I mean it will fit in the new chassis anyway. Have you measured your pre at switch on from cold and turn off? Still no DC? Had gear with caps on the output that start off with some DC then it goes away, could always do selective start ups though I guess.
Hey Alan,

No i have not measured at turn on and switch off. I will though now that you have turned my attention to it.

When you removed the output inductor from the JLH did you remove a resistor in parallel to it as well. Mine has a resistor within the coil which is in parallel. Naim amps have 0R22 on the output but no inductor.

I look forward to your report when the LS5 arrives and you fire it up :epopc:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:34 pm It would have to be seasoned for a couple of years I would think, but you are the expert.
Yes that sounds about right. In two years i will have a go :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

ABallagh

"When you removed the output inductor from the JLH did you remove a resistor in parallel to it as well. Mine has a resistor within the coil which is in parallel. Naim amps have 0R22 on the output but no inductor."

Yeah I removed the resister too, but I left in the 0r22 that was in circuit just before, all the output transistors had 0r22's on the outputs too. The AVI has 0r22s on each output transistor but no additional one just before the Inducter/resistor. I dont know how safe it is but I ran the JLH's for about 10 years like that until one of the power supplies failed, I did run the 2 boards with one power supply for a while but never got round to sorting it out.

Rectified

Unread post by Rectified »

jayman67 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:42 pm if i remember correctly from my cabinet making days for air drying i think its a year for 1inck timber but thats planked,gawd knows how long a trunk would take??
Kiln Drying is obviously Quicker than Air Drying..

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Rectified wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:08 pm
jayman67 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:42 pm if i remember correctly from my cabinet making days for air drying i think its a year for 1inck timber but thats planked,gawd knows how long a trunk would take??
Kiln Drying is obviously Quicker than Air Drying..
There are disadvantages to kiln drying but I can't remember what they are. I would expect air drying to be more suitable for a lump of tree, especially if it is intended to carve from solid.

Rectified

Unread post by Rectified »

Disadvantages are Shrinking & splitting.

ABallagh

Well I finally got her finished, now I just have to wait for Doc to get better so he can catch up on his orders and send my LS5 out.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

ABallagh wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:12 am Well I finally got her finished, now I just have to wait for Doc to get better so he can catch up on his orders and send my LS5 out.
Cool. I like a work bench shot :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE