DIY thoughts of the day

A place for DIY project discussions.
Daniel Quinn

Re: DIY thoughts of the day

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

You will save about 2 or 3 feet. If you can tell the difference your a better man than me.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

All it takes to make a difference is an inch or two. Ask the wife :grin:

Think about it. The signal is at it's lowest level here and susceptible to all sorts of interference. I once shortened the interconnect between record deck and phono stage from one metre to about six inches and remember it being clearly superior.

You can of course tell me i was hearing things.
DIY FREE ZONE

Daniel Quinn

Personally I think your kidding yourself, but hifi is not a solipsitic experience for nothing.

karatestu
Great Britain

Fair enough. I will happily continue in my bubble of self satisfying idiocracy :shhh:
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Well I agree with you Stu.

Best to keep small signal lines short and as far away from RF/EM pollution as possible.

There again, each to his own.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Daniel Quinn

Given you have a phono 2, you agree with him theoretically. Or as I would say 'I agree with you, but not enough to do anything about it'

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:24 am Personally I think your kidding yourself, but hifi is not a solipsitic experience for nothing.
I know you like using unusual words DQ, but I think in this case you meant to say solipsistic. :roll:

But then, what's an extra s between friends ? :lol:

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:18 pm Given you have a phono 2, you agree with him theoretically. Or as I would say 'I agree with you, but not enough to do anything about it'
I have a very small business making 3rd party components for LP12's (but you live and learn) I used many different types of phono stages over the years including Naim's Prefix (and their harsh amplification - long since sold) so to me at the time yes it made a discernible difference, entirely subjectively of course.

Then I went by way of an Avondale Phono1 which used Naim boards, then a Kinshaw perception, a Phonoclone 3 (based on a 47Labs phono) which I built myself as a way of getting me out of depression following a brain haemorrhage and subsequent stroke and then via NVA's Phono 1 to the Phono 2 that I still run to this day.

I've also successfully implemented a 600 VA power supply with DNM reservoir caps and NVA amp boards that I removed from my A20 and fitted into a BMU case, (Doc gave his blessing when he was with us). That amps case is soon to become a a BBPSU for the Phono2 as I'm currently very slowly putting together a clone of an early black perspex Second Statement as my tribute to the great man himself. I doubt it will sound as good as Doc SS amp as it won't have as large a PS but it will certainly spruce up my current set up. :grin:

Alfi.
Last edited by Alfi on Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

karatestu
Great Britain

Excellent work Alfi. You will have something to be proud of and all in nva cases :clap: And no fireworks and nasty smells :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

karatestu wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:48 pm Excellent work Alfi. You will have something to be proud of and all in nva cases :clap: And no fireworks and nasty smells :dance:
Thanks Stu.

I'm not quite there with the SS clone I guess a few weeks off yet and I am a bit of a numpty when it comes to electronics. :lol:

Alfi .
I am in the hi-fi trade.