DIY thoughts of the day

A place for DIY project discussions.
TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: DIY thoughts of the day

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Ali

Much obliged. I'm afraid my ability to read valve datasheets is very limited so no straight answer fro me then? I've contacted Duncan Amps to get some advice.

Will the 5751 use the same parameters as the 6 SL7 noting the 5751 is a pentode and the 76SL7 a triode?

Cheers.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Nick will know more than me, but I do know many people using WAD phono stages swapped ECC83's to 5751 to lower gain, and it would appear the 6sl7 can usually be subbed with ECC83-

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-v ... 12ax7.html

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I found a couple of old but little used Kendeil 22,000 uf caps which i forgot that i had :dance: I will probably need to reform them and as i don't have an esr meter i won't be able to measure them :cry: I used them in a Naim hicap many moons ago. Size of bloody coke cans :shock:

What should i use them for i wonder ?
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

I will have some spare 3.3 uf K75-10 Russian paper in oil caps as well when my 1 uf ones arrive.

I was advised a while ago that they were only good for crossovers but i have a very inquisitive mind so will have to find out for myself. But as DQ commented the other day, the fewer of them used the better.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Why do people obsess about frequencies above 14KHz. Us over 40's can't even bloody hear that high. Only children should be concerned :epopc:
DIY FREE ZONE

Ali Tait

Not very scientific admittedly, but various smartphone apps show I can still hear around 17k, not bad for 51. :-)

karatestu
Great Britain

Ali Tait wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:30 pm Not very scientific admittedly, but various smartphone apps show I can still hear around 17k, not bad for 51. :-)
You have obviously looked after your ears. Myself on the other hand...........oh dear :(
DIY FREE ZONE

Ali Tait

Was always careful with ear defenders in the past. 30 years ago, a neighbour bought an “ultrasonic” anti vermin device to get rid of the mice in his shed. I could hear the bloody thing, and he had it on 24/7. Thankfully he got rid of it when asked, it kept me awake lol.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

karatestu wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm Why do people obsess about frequencies above 14KHz. Us over 40's can't even bloody hear that high. Only children should be concerned :epopc:
Not sure things are as simple as that. From what I can glean, the basis of MQA is that we can "sense" frequencies over 20kHz. How exactly that works I'm not sure. Some argue that is why vinyl sounds better than CD (although there is probably another debate there) because very high frequencies get out and we like that.

Ho Hum. There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy Horatio?
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

TheMadMick wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:31 pm
karatestu wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:59 pm Why do people obsess about frequencies above 14KHz. Us over 40's can't even bloody hear that high. Only children should be concerned :epopc:
Not sure things are as simple as that. From what I can glean, the basis of MQA is that we can "sense" frequencies over 20kHz. How exactly that works I'm not sure. Some argue that is why vinyl sounds better than CD (although there is probably another debate there) because very high frequencies get out and we like that.

Ho Hum. There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy Horatio?
I believe that the reproduction of frequencies well beyond the range of human hearing effect our enjoyment of music and think that the extent to which it occurs varies from individual to individual. I think this goes some way to explaining why many prefer vinyl to CD. The 44 kHv cap is too low.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc