make your own g88

A place for DIY project discussions.
antonio66
Great Britain

Re: make your own g88

Unread post by antonio66 »

Nice work again Ant, I would call it sturdy.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

An update to the deck today, I've given the audio technica vm540 ml back to the old man and fitted the lenco with a dynavector dv20x2h that I got off Nigel (shaman) of this parish.
This is the very cart that set me off with dynavectors again.
Absolutely gorgeous
This deck isn't going anywhere

I'd recommend these carts, both the high and low output (having used both) to anyone in the market for a cart in the 750 to a grand price bracket. The Hana isn't far behind at 600, but I prefer the dv, and at that sort of money I think it's all down to preference

The sound quality I'm getting today is incrementally better to my earoles than it was last week, I've also borrowed a pass labs b1 buffer to try with my f5, something I've been wanting to do for ages, and this cart have got me sat down playing music again rather than just listening to whatever she who must be obeyed has put on in the background.

All my carts bar the sl15 are Japanese, with microline and shibata stylii, (don't start laughing paul :mrgreen:) perhaps they have some sort of Japanese sound to them that I like, and 3 of the arms are also Japanese, the acos, audio technica and jvc robot arm. I wonder if there is such a thing as a Japanese or English or American or German ect sound, I've never really considered that before......
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
savvypaul (Mon May 04, 2020 7:01 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

I had that Dynavector, except the L version, for a short while. Sorry it was trounced by my Lyra but I can understand not everyone likes the more analytical nature of Lyra's. A friend had the Dynavector Karat 17d which was more to my liking.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Never heard a Lyra to be honest so I couldn't say anything about the sound of those, but I'm glad you got what you were looking for with it
It's great when it clicks into place!
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:40 pm with microline and shibata stylii, (don't start laughing paul :mrgreen:)
Always gets a chuckle, here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Just put the soundsmith Othello fixed coil cart I bought on the big lenco. Been wanting to try a moving iron/fixed coil, whatever you want to call it for ages, hence getting this.

good god. this thing has some really good bass, really deep and tight, and everything starts and stops like lightning. Even compared with the Hana and the dv20........
Top end isn't anything to write home about, abit shut in and a little dull compared to the dv and the Hana which is to be expected, but reasonably ok. it definitely has something going for it, very bouncy and musical.
Aaarrgh! I really don't want to mess about with the dual, but I'm very tempted to put it in the linear tracker on there and see what it does.
Piggin'ell........

Paul, I think I've found a cart that's right up your street that we can both agree on!