Cable capacitance

A place for DIY project discussions.
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Cable capacitance

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Before I ask my question, here's my disclaimer, I know very little about electronics or DIY audio so please forgive any daft questions. My aim is to make my own interconnects, I am comfortable using a soldering iron etc however I am too some degree confused by all the different claims and counter claims made by the manufacturer's of speaker and interconnect cables. Prices vary widely from budget through to cables that must be made by Fabergé out of unicorn hair mixed with unobtainium.
I know Richard was totally against any Litz cables and always stressed the importance of low capacitance. I also know winding wiring increases its capacitance but that's where my knowledge stops. If for example a cable was made up of say 4 cores, each core consisting of 10 twisted fine strands, covered by a good quality PTFE insulating cover and then the 4 insulated cores were wound around each other would the capacitance be greater or the same as if the 4 cores were joined in a parallel fashion. So in a nutshell does the insulation prevent an increase in capacitance ? Thanks Paul
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Cable capacitance

Unread post by karatestu »

Any twisting increases capacitance i think, even strands in one wire.

If it was me i would copy the way the NVA cables are made. Possibly several soild core wires of different diameter each in their own PTFE insulation and just laid side by side. Don't use a screen as the negative conductor but use one like the TIS which is just a faraday cage and not connected at either end.
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:30 am Any twisting increases capacitance i think, even strands in one wire.
Not quite, have a look here Capacitance

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Wow, little link, huge amount of data. It's something I will need to read numerous times before it makes sense to me.
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Cheers Stu & Geoff. I know it would cheaper and quicker to simply buy some reputable leads and crack on but I enjoy the whole DIY "what if" aspect of making cables and leads and it's probably a relatively safe and inexpensive entry point to audio DIY so all thoughts/advice/ideas are welcome

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

explanation below is correct - mine was not so
\/
\/
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

For a conductor to behave as a capacitor it must have a second conductor in relatively close proximity that is at a different potential (Voltage).

If the two conductors are connected together they will not behave as a capacitor because they will be at the same potential.

The greater the surface area in proximity the greater the capacitance, the smaller the gap the greater the capacitance. A greater length will have a greater capacitance than a short length of the same cable. However, 20 metres of microphone cable isn't audible any different from 5 metres of the same cable.

Insulation tends to increase the gap but the material used can make a difference too.