A20x

All things NVA
Rectified
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A20x

Unread post by Rectified »

Alfi wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm
Some manufactures like using the nomenclature of Mk 1, II etc to show they are happy with their new product, others do not.
I had no idea that Manufacturers used the nomenclature Mk.1 because they have no vision of a Mk.2 why should they, as far as their concerned the Product is a finished product to the best of their ability ;)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Alfi wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:21 pm
Linn likes the term "revision" usually displayed on the underside. They also like SE of late.
There was a period on the 90's when both Linn and Meridian changed the innards of their products several times in a very few years with no way of knowing on the outside... The component alterations in issues of circuit boards from batch to batch over a three year or so period on one or two Linn items (Karik & Numerik especially) was marked and audible and I regularly checked these two models especially every six months or so as a pal was friendly with his local dealer who let him borrow/replace his home stuff every six months in return for bits of work here and there. My dealer pal used to sell Meridian and every six months or so, the rep would call and tell him to replace his demo stock as changes had been made.

The A20X uses the same amp boards as in all the others since 2005 or so...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

They both tell you nothing.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Rectified wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:34 pm
Some manufactures like using the nomenclature of Mk 1, II etc to show they are happy with their new product, others do not.
I was not thinking straight when I posted that - should have written Mk2/Mk3 :lol:
Rectified wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:34 pm
I had no idea that Manufacturers used the nomenclature Mk.1 because they have no vision of a Mk.2 why should they, as far as their concerned the Product is a finished product to the best of their ability ;)
Well that's probably why Linn don't advertise their revisions, because they've been trying to get the LP12 working properly for 40 years.

However, in reply to your second sentence , it was not what I alluded to. Manufacturing technology/techniques and materials change/improve with time which can and does lead to the mk's.
Last edited by Alfi on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

In my time, the LP12 didn't change construction with the batch apart from some plinths being (sonically-degradingly) shitty and the mid 80's batch of terminally bad main bearing thrust pads, many of which would be replaced by Cirkus bearings now and the black oil. I found the main changes to be significant and fundamental to getting sample variability under control. For me, it was finding so much better out there and by then at such lower prices that I had something of an epiphany moment - thirty years ago now.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

eagwok33

Unread post by eagwok33 »

eagwok33 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:34 pm Seems so that it's a good idea to try a NVA power amp one day on my horns :think:
Waiting for the A20x to be an available product... :epopc:
best, Norbert
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:41 pm Just had the first 3 back from Dave yesterday, so it is available. Dave said he didn't expect the difference but the 20x is clearly better. I haven't switched one on yet.
eagwok33 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:57 pm Good news! :-)
And what would be the price for the A20x, Richard? And will it be available via Ebay or the forum?
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:11 pm Not on ebay yet, if you want one of these three just Paypal me £300.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 pm Aaagh! forgot its got to go to Austria. I need £26 shipping cost as well.
As I was a bit "off topic" with my A20X questions I put it under this thread, hope this is OK!

Richard, I'm really considering to give the A20x a try. Just one more question:
How much gain has the A20x?
My horns are 97dB at 8 ohms impedance and I'm listening in about 2.25m distance. So amp sensitivity is an issue if you don't want to listen only with the preamp poti max. up to 8 o' clock. :-(
Thanks!
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Gain is meaningless, you have a volume control I presume. Remember this is designed for a passive pre-amp. Position on volume control is meaningless, that is why we have that control. It makes no difference if you listen at 80% 40% or full out (full out is always better as the VC is then basically out of circuit).

There is a standard it is known as line level. This will explain it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level NVA power amps used with a passive work together at consumer line level.

You have no issue.

eagwok33

Unread post by eagwok33 »

Thanks Richard!
I decided to give the A20x a try! :epopc: (Stu and Steve have been to convincing with their latest DIY NVA experience!)

Money sent via Paypal!
Norbert

Tubes and Vinyl rule, Music rocks! :icon-wink: