NVA Super Sound Pipe (MK1) Instructions

All things NVA
terrybooth
Great Britain

NVA Super Sound Pipe (MK1) Instructions

Unread post by terrybooth »

I know to my cost that it is easy to break SSP. So here are the instructions on handling the cable.

SSP is a very rigid cable. the cable is stiffer than the joints or the plugs and the joints will break if you twist the plugs.

So, push the plug in and pull it out. You may need both hands to do this and you may well need to clear other equipment out of the way to get a good grip on the cable and whatever you are plugging it into. I know it's tempting to twist but don't. Have a little patience and it will be rewarded.

Once again: when installing SSP - PUSH or PULL don't twist
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: NVA Super Sound Pipe Instructions

Unread post by jammy395 »

SSP great inter connects by all account - but due to the nature of the beast's - will always be subject to damage's......You simply cannot legislate for the heavy handed
or the idiots.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

It's not just SSP that doesn't like being twisted. I've broken literally dozens of cables over the years, especially Chord Company. The issue is often poorly built products with flimsy phonos attached to a PCB and not screwed to the case. You just can't push some items without breaking them, so people tend to twist. Surely though, nobody will have any excuse for twisting SSP now, because it's been made very clear what will happen.
Personally, I wish the industry had gone with another connection. I always liked locking Din leads.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I did lots of work on this in the late 80's and early 90's. Dins are crap sounding, pins too close bad construction and dielectric and locking makes no difference sonically. BNC is very good, but by far the best musically is SMA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMA_connector . I made them an option on mk1 Statement products.

mules

Unread post by mules »

Having worked on equipment with SMA connectors, their weakness is well, their weakness. I have seen ham fisted idiots threading SMA connectors, most regularly right in the back of a packed rack.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes they have to be threaded carefully and if working with RF then a torque wrench should be used, but musically they are ace.

mules

Unread post by mules »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Yes they have to be threaded carefully and if working with RF then a torque wrench should be used, but musically they are ace.
That was one of the problems, well paid technicians not being able to use a torque wrench. Well, they couldnt stop using it actually.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

hmm , interesting forthright opinons , i love those me , except i cant help wondering were they were 6 months ago when this debate kicked off . :think: :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Different motivations DQ.

r100

Unread post by r100 »

so, are they better suited or not ?