nva active speakers

All things NVA
schwantz34
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

nva active speakers

Unread post by schwantz34 »

hello, any news on this project ive heard months ago?
ciao
s

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: nva active speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

On hold due to other things in my life and the interested customer had a delay as well. Now I am involved with a house move so I doubt it will be before early next year. All the bits are here waiting so it will be done at some point.

BTW they are not active, as active speakers require an active crossover, which I hate. They are passive crossovers with separate power amps, so probably the best description is internally powered speakers.

schwantz34
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by schwantz34 »

hello doc, i see, thanks for the info.
ciao
s

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The whole active vs. passive vs. powered debate has opened up huge cans of worms in some quarters. My take these days is that it's the COMPLETE speaker system that's important.

Anyway, I doubt that NVA passive crossovers would be particularly complex anyway, so not intrusive. Even complex ones can be designed, in conjunction with the drivers used, not to get in the way to any negative extent.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Effectively there is no crossover. Nothing on the bass / mid driver it is filtered mechanically by doping. The tweeter only has capacitor protection from low frequencies not a crossover, and a series padding resistor to equalise the efficiency of the drivers.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Well then, it's active as there's nowt between bass-mid amp and driver. The tweeter has relatively little to do electrically I believe, if not subjectively...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is not active as if you search the term it applies to active (ie electronic) filters being used to separate the drivers. The ONLY two components in front to the NVA drivers, and only the tweeter, are passive components. The definition of active is to be powered and using active gain devices either transistors, valves or integrated circuit op-amps.