New!!!!! NVA CD players

All things NVA
jammy395

Re: New!!!!! NVA CD players

Unread post by jammy395 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:35 pm

fisherman wrote:for feks sake i just want an nva sounding cd player which is what doc proposed in the first place not interested in fruit pie in the sky
let the doc get on with it if the transport is going to cost a bit more i reckon it will be worth paying a bit more
+1

That's a fine album Dan....... :dance:

Daniel Quinn
Wales

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:54 pm

Indeed it is.

I was introduced to it by a student teacher who I fell for one summer on the way to Liverpool .

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:01 am

Being full of insatiable curiosity (like Kipling's Elephant's Child - O best beloved), I have been digging up info about the JPSL-33 slot-loading CD drive made by Stream Unlimited of Vienna. Stream Unlimited is a small company founded by a group of research engineers from Philips. To quote from their own site :

"this Philips team (now StreamUnlimited) introduced for Philips in the years 2001-2004 the first streaming audio and video products, the first MP3 players, the first hard-disc and DVD recorders, the first HDMI products and the first Wi-Fi enabled products."

They include people who also drew up the specs for the 'Red Book Audio' CD standard, so they should know what they are doing. Their CD transports are very respected in high-end circles.

They market a line called 'Blue Tiger' which, if my limited technical knowledge is correct, contains a set of modular boards - just about everything you need to construct the innards of a CD player - except for the power supply.

Might be worth taking a look at...
NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube2 - BMU
Digits: Asus Tinkerboard S + AQ Jitterbug
USB: Schiit Wyrd + Inakustik Excellenz
Ethernet: Silent Angel Bonn N8
DAC: TeraDak V4.5 Chameleon CD: Cambridge CXC
Cans: AQ Nighthawk Carbon + Schiit Magni3

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:15 am

Fretless wrote:Being full of insatiable curiosity (like Kipling's Elephant's Child - O best beloved), I have been digging up info about the JPSL-33 slot-loading CD drive made by Stream Unlimited of Vienna. Stream Unlimited is a small company founded by a group of research engineers from Philips. To quote from their own site :

"this Philips team (now StreamUnlimited) introduced for Philips in the years 2001-2004 the first streaming audio and video products, the first MP3 players, the first hard-disc and DVD recorders, the first HDMI products and the first Wi-Fi enabled products."

They include people who also drew up the specs for the 'Red Book Audio' CD standard, so they should know what they are doing. Their CD transports are very respected in high-end circles.

They market a line called 'Blue Tiger' which, if my limited technical knowledge is correct, contains a set of modular boards - just about everything you need to construct the innards of a CD player - except for the power supply.

Might be worth taking a look at...
Linky.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:19 am

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Great Britain

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:39 am

Interesting, but the big drawbacks are 1 - cost, 2 - certification. The big advantage of using a donor unit for small scale production is you can use their certification, all I need to certify is the power supply, which is simple with changing the donor unit to classII appliance regs.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:02 am

I see the problem Doc. Looked to me like the Pro-ject CD player line are constructed from these modules.

fisherman
Great Britain

Unread post by fisherman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:25 am

bump

applemarc
Great Britain

Unread post by applemarc » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:01 pm

bump
Beresford Caiman Ipod

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Just a further suggestion for the donor unit: http://www.teac.com/product/cd-p650/

It seems to tick most of the boxes. The only issue I can see is that it's a tray rather than slot load. It can be bought new for £150. Has USB connectivity, remote control and generally looks well specified.