Loan Service

All things NVA
bronzeage
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Loan Service

Unread post by bronzeage »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:1m SSP I have but LS6 I don't, it would have to be on the buy and return if not liked. With orders building at the mo, it will be at least a month before I can find time between orders to do a loan pair.
Anyway back to loans and the point of this thread. Do you (Bronzeage) want the SSP2 sent for loan or did you only want it if I could send both it and the LS6, please confirm. Also confirm that you are committed to do a proper thought out review and not like the two sentences that Jayman gave us.
Hello and welcome to all - first post!

No need to wait for LS6 - I am seriously looking to buy SSP2 if it improves on SSC (to these ears at least), and will give a proper review and comparison either way.

My current speaker cable is Atlas Ascent 3.5mm, very expensive RRP, got it at a knock down price when I bought my amp. Don't have any problem with it, but, hey, if LS6 sounded better ...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Then let's do the SSPmk2 first, OK?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

bronzeage

OK indeed - let the games begin.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Loan cable up date. I have available

LS2 2m
LS1 2m
LS3 2m
LS5 1.75m
TSCS 2(and a bit)m

SSC 1m
SSP(2) 1m (out on loan)
TIS 1m

bronzeage

So, after four days of solid listening, and plenty of back and forth, this is my experience with the SSPM2 interconnect:

1) Like any interconnect, it does not have an inherent 'sound' - but the sound you get coming out is not the same with all sources. It is clearly more resolving than the SSC, which has turned out, in my case, to be something of a double-edged sword.

2)With my PC as the source, while there is increased depth, texture, dynamics and resolution, the treble is simply too strident for my tastes. Not a fault of the cable, in fact I have been trying for a long time to get sound out of the PC that matches my modified Marantz CD63, but to no avail. The more forgiving nature of the SSC, at this point in time, simply suits it better.
The one caveat is with classical music - if that is your primary style of music, the SSPM2 does a better job, as the type of treble that is 'too much' is generally not present.

3)With the CD player as source - well, now we are talking, it is simply better all around than the SSC, without any downside. The treble is a smooth and clear without any harshness. It's a shame that 99.99% of my listening is through the PC!

4)Compared to the many other interconnects that have passed through my system, often borrowed from friends, based on the CD output, it ranks #2 on the all-time list. Since I'm not here to promote other vendors, I will simply say that #1 is in a different price league, so in terms of value for money, that would make SSPM2 #1.

So, it seems what I have to do first is do whatever I can to improve the sound coming out of the PC - maybe some kind of fancy USB regenerater, cable, filter, whatever. If nothing else, the cable has highlighted where I need to improve.

In summary, the SSPM2 is a cable that needs to be auditioned, because if it should 'click' with your setup, you get something quite special for a lot less outlay than the well known names.

Many thanks for the loan - who should I send the cable on to now?

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Bronzeage - don't know what DAC you are using. I use Supra USB cable which gives an excellent, smooth and detailed sound.
Your brightness could be a 'jitter' problem. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I have an old M-Audio '24/96' soundcard with analogue and digital ins and outs. The analogue output is a bit bland by the best of standards, but the digital outs were ok. I felt I had a huge upgrade using the SPDIF to USB adaptor the Doc suggested and my workroom streaming now presents superb 3-D imaging and tuneful musicality which the M-Audio never quite managed as well. My DAC is surprisingly good in twin-supply form, but is hardly the last modern word in digital conversion.

Here anyway, the SSPmk2 isn't a 'toppy' cable at all and the benefits over the SSC are increases in emotional connection for me. Maybe I listen differently to most other people, I don't know, but also, the reduced capacitance may have an effect if there's sh*t coming off the PC, allowing this through more to disturb the amp inputs?????

Don't despair, but embrace the wider window into the music. Have a look at what the PC is doing as streaming can be hugely good in quality and potentially better than a stock CD player as transport I think.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

bronzeage

I'm using a Schiit Bifrost Multibit. I don't get this type of 'ultra-treble' with any other RCA, it could be a case of them simply not being transparent enough, or just some kind of mis-match with these particular components. It's a little weird and frustrating, because the good features of the SSPM2 are very desirable.

My local Audio T is usually very happy to let me try different cables they have, so will see if USB cable makes a noticeable difference.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

A Pi as a dedicated music player will sound better than most PC's as well.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Loan cable update. I have available

LS2 2m
LS1 2m
LS3 2m
LS3 4m
LS5 1.75m