NVA Senior turntable

All things NVA
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

NVA Senior turntable

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

All this Linn bashing got me thinking - bear with me and I'm not being disrespectful here - ... if the Doc is so vociferous about the notorious bloody old fruitbox spring-deck, what was it about the NVA Senior deck that made it so special so the Doc could speak with authority on the subject? Other ongoing semi-related mini-projects here have seriously piqued my interest too. - Anything incorrect below I'll happily correct, or if I can't, a mod is welcome as I hope this could be interesting possibly. Not sure how many Seniors were made, but I suspect the few out there would be expensive collectors items now and it would be far too costly to tool up for today (?)

I haven't yet searched here, so may be easily able to answer my thoughts with some research and what follows may be total bollocks, so I'll have to take flack if necessary. Common practise seems to be to mount the motor solidly to the ground via a base (via a top plate in traditional springy sub-chassis decks) and decouple (or not?) the part holding the platter bearing and tonearm, which are usually coupled directly together. The Senior gives the impression that it's the arm and platter bearing that are directly 'grounded' and the motor was on a form of sprung sub-chassis sat on top??? Apologies if I've got it wrong, but if so, only the Doc could think so laterally and 'turn it on it's head' this way. The platter arrangement looked interesting too.

Is it OK to discuss this deck? There's a chap on Lenco Heaven who has or had one and he spoke very highly indeed of it.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: NVA Senior turntable

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Go back into the archive it has been fully explained and talked about there.

There is this and earlier threads. http://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.p ... lit=Senior

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Found it. Completely forgot. Sorry for bringing it back up.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Reading that thread, what happened to that TT. Mark Woody is a member and still posting can I nag him for a follow up on it.

jayman67
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

nice looking tt their richard,or should i say dick? :grin:
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Up until I got married for the second time I was always Dick, but Nadia hated it so Richard it is for the last 20 odd years. I remember my very first day at school and the teacher asked everyone to tell the class their name. My turn, I did what my mother had told me and said my name was Richard and I wasn't to be called Dick, general sniggering around the class and I was Dick from that point on.

jayman67
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

im a dick too,only in middle name though.
im named jamie but for some reason people think its short for james,my friends call me jimbo .
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Names are odd things. Nadia is like Dick it is short version. The real one is Nadejda which is difficult for us English to get our tongues around.

When my sister was pregs many many years ago she had a book on names, I always remember what all mine mean - A strong and couragious brown coloured horse lover :lol: :lol: Richard is the strong bit, Stanley is horse lover, and Dunn is brown.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

So you share a middle name with...

Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Stanley was my uncle, killed in a tank in Burma in the war.