NVA Phono Stages - rethink

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

NVA Phono Stages - rethink

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The focus lately on phono stages has had me doing a lot of listening and the Uddersfield bake-off has contributed. I have decided to put the Phono 3 up as a standard product, but I have decided that although it only meets its potential with the BBPSUs it has a valid benefit with the standard PSU. So in order for it to be used with standard PSU the standard PSU has to have the ability to have four umbilicals.

So the PSU now has to be specified either as standard for Phono 2 = 2 umbilical, extra supply 1 umbilical. Phono 3 = 4 umbilical, one extra supply 2 umbilical, additionally 2 more supplies can be added up max 4 will have one umbilical. Per usual just dangle the leads not used.

The BBPSU will now be available for fitting to Phono 2 as well as Phono 3. For Phono 2 one is needed, for Phono 3 two are needed. The BBPSU can also be used with the special headphone amp first made for Jammy.

I hope this is not too complicated, but it gives alternate upgrade paths that have turned out to be very worth while.

Sooooooo

Phono 1 - £300
Phono 2 - £500 (with one PSU)
Phono 3 - £800 (with one PSU)
PSU - £200 for each extra one
BBPSU - £600 one for Phono 2 and two for Phono 3

Upgrades / trade ins are available across the whole upgrade path for the difference in price. In the case of Phono 2 to Phono 3 it can be done in existing unit, which will have to be sent back, or as a trade in, which ever is preferred or more convenient.

Price list will be updated and ebay listings put up as my time allows.

BTW I am going to have problems this tax year, normally we go much quieter in the summer, this year this hasn't happened and sales have increased considerable, to the point I am going to exceed the VAT limit. I really still do not want to VAT register, it creates extra work and aggravation and anyway my available build time would be exceeded. I WANT TO STAY SMALL! so I will be shutting the ebay shop for the whole of December and going on holiday for two or three weeks. I will be available for small thing through here, and of course repairs. And someone will be house sitting for contact.

I will have a long think in the new year as to where the company is going, with my age I need to plan the future anyway, but be assured anything that leads to us being another rip-off company just wont happen, we have to be a glowing light for quality with value.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: NVA Phono Stages - rethink

Any questions, anything not understood.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I did...but I found the answer in an earlier thread:

OK time for a fess up. DSJR knows this and I have hinted at it.

1/ NVA phono units are the same and have been for nearly 30 years, over that time it is people and their systems that have caught up with them.

2/ ALL NVA phono units use the same printed circuit board THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM FROM PHONO1 to PHONO3, same circuit, same components.

The differences are in how they are used and how they are power supplied. WHAT YOU ARE HEARING IS POWER SUPPLY!!!! The circuit consists of four gain stages, two per channel, they can be powered separately.

Phono 1 = 30va internal power supply - one voltage reg pcb supplying whole board.
Phono 2 = 120va external power supply - two voltage reg pcbs each supplying a channel + extra PSU adds another 120va external supply, each of the regs and each channel being driven by one each.
Phono 3 unit = four reg pcbs one for each gain stage. Now options for powering this. It could be powered by one or two external standard 120va PSU but extra umbilical leads would have to be added, and pretty much a waste of time. So the minimum would be four 120va external PSU (= 480va). That would end up being £1600, and you would be losing a lot of its potential. The Phono 3 loves big power supplies, it just grows with them, it needs the Big Bastard to make it give its best. The BBPSU is four 1000va transformers and masses of smoothing and bypasses, to the point that I dare not put a mains switch on it as in rush power would damage switch contact, and when new or off for a long time would trip your CU with the current surge, also the pins on the umbilical will burn out and melt each time you unplug and plug even when switched off. A slow start will stop the in rush but also make the unit sound worse.

So what you have is a prototype, it will not go into production as is. The Phono 3 is fine as is but the BBPSU will have to be split into two boxes with two 1000va in each so each can be plugged in separately, and the current XLR plugs on the unbilicals will have to be change for something much more substantial. Price for Phono 3 and two (smaller) BBPSU would be, I estimate, £1800 to £2000, so cost wise the extra £500 or so is a complete necessity in my opinion.

So there you have it, what I hoped to show and prove at the Uddersfield Bake-Off, but bugger it I will use you as initial proof, and Antonio, and others who have heard the range up to the Phono 2 plus extra PSU can also verify.

That is how important proper linear power supplies are and the bigger the better. Now go and read the power supply bollocks being spouted at AoS by Arkless (brainless).
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The extra cost of the Phono 3 is made up by doubling the regulator boards, and we do a lot of the PSU smoothing work at this end of the umbilical, so twice the number of 10k mfd caps and a some very expensive bypasses are now incorporated that couldn't be costed into the Phono 1 or 2.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Thanks Doc. I now have all the information I need to empty my wallet! :cry:

the Harbeths will have to be sold first, though...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

applemarc
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

Is this an improvement over my Phono amp T.C.S/T.A.S ?
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No it is the same just in a black box as opposed to Statement case.

applemarc
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

Bugger
Beresford Caiman Ipod

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

[quote="Dr Bunsen Honeydew" post_id=157393 time=1503577075 user_id=27597

BTW I am going to have problems this tax year, normally we go much quieter in the summer, this year this hasn't happened and sales have increased considerable, to the point I am going to exceed the VAT limit. I really still do not want to VAT register, it creates extra work and aggravation and anyway my available build time would be exceeded. I WANT TO STAY SMALL! so I will be shutting the ebay shop for the whole of December and going on holiday for two or three weeks.
[/quote]

Word is getting round. :dance:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I think it is the value of the £ most is export.