P20 / A20 starter pre and power amplifier loan

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: P20 / A20 starter pre and power amplifier loan

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Email from Chris Hemingway

Hi Richard,

Review as promised (I haven’t posted to forum but will if you ant me to) feel free to correct any grammar foibles.

P20 / A20 Starter pre/ power amplifier loan.

So where does one begin with a review? The beginning? Well my taste buds for trying NVA were whetted at a recent ‘bake off’ at ‘savvypauls' (who is a genuinely nice guy) up in deepest darkest Durham. I’m ‘up North’, he’s ‘up North North’ We had a ‘Speaker listen off’ with Pauls system both vinyl & digital as the base source(s). Part of said system was NVA amplification, what can I say through the day I was wowed at how dynamic and open the system sounded with timing and rhythm to die for.

Onwards a month or so and I see our Doc is offering a ‘Load Unit’ (again) …. Many buttons pressed and postage money sent and behold I have a box of goodies on its way to me.

Fast forward again and I’m opening the box which is very well packed and has the pre and power boxes (lush shiny black) along with lengths of speaker cable and interconnect. What more could a man want. Everything turned off and old kit, amp unplugged and I slotted the P20/A20 into position and wired up to my existing kit.

So, early listening sessions were encouraging but also tinged with those early ‘warmin up’ trade-offs, timings were off and the overall sound was lacking in authority (I am talking the first hour or so of listening here) Piano notes appear a little too light when once I remember them being played with greater authority. Bass was ok, but this time not so much light as lacking in texture….. drum skins were giving me nothing back just a thwack of sound.

Later that evening I’m glad to hear things were coming together much better, I have to say it took less time than I imagined for the amps to start to shine through. Back to some tracks I knew well and wow this little fella is really punching above its weight (it is only 25 watts I keep telling myself) cymbals are appearing in a different place to normal, far off the usual narrow soundstage of my old amp. More than that actually, when I swap over to Vinyl as source and play a few more albums I’m astonished that I can hear more soundstage. Not left to right, that’s about as good as my Roksan, this is depth of soundstage had been previously something I rarely heard and now the drum kit is well behind the singer and the guitar is slightly to the left and somewhere in between!! This in particular was the biggest ‘find’ for me, yes I was swooned with a good amount of dynamics and the openness and clarity was what I remember from Paul's system (Don’t get me wrong not in any way as great but a sibling sound signature none the less) Three or four days in and the smile is still there, texture is well and truly perceivable in the lower end and piano note decay is a joy to listen to.

Another surprise that keeps me scratching my head is how much headroom this little two box wonder has? I honestly cannot believe how well it drives my Russell K Red 100 speakers with ‘only 25 watts’ (medium to large stand mount 2-way speaker) I know what working up the NVA ladder towards that I heard in said bake off will bring ……. More of everything basically, it could be an interesting journey.

Cheers
Chris (hemmo)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Has it moved on ?

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

We have shared e-mails and items being shipped Monday to suit both parties 👍🏻

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Thanks.

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

Item all boxed up and being collected by UPS tomorrow (Monday)

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Unread post by ArloFlynn »

Thanks Hemmo, I shall look forward to receiving them. Is there any other listeners after myself?
If anyone is in the Stafford or Wellingborough / Northhampton / Kettering areas, I can maybe drop them off.

Cheers
ArloFlynn
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Kit arrived by stealth delivery Tuesday, picked up today from drop off point. Had a couple of hours worth of songs today via CD.
Shall write a review type thing after I have had a more in-depth listen.
1st impressions; very neat and tidy units, ergonomically pleasing; Sound - Very interesting...
Kevin.

No Valves - Technics SL1210/Jelco/DL103 (vdh) - Phono2 - P50SA - A70's - Cubettes
Valves - Cambridge CD - World Designs Pre3 - WAD 6550 - Troels Gravesen CA18rnx speakers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

ArloFlynn wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:08 pm Kit arrived by stealth delivery Tuesday, picked up today from drop off point. Had a couple of hours worth of songs today via CD.
Shall write a review type thing after I have had a more in-depth listen.
1st impressions; very neat and tidy units, ergonomically pleasing; Sound - Very interesting...
:epopc:

Who is next or does it come back to me.

ArloFlynn
Ireland

Hello Richard.
Hmm, no takers yet. I am at work at the moment, will be home tomorrow afternoon, It is boxed up and I will get it sent to you then or early Thursday, hopefully in the meantime someone may want it.
Thanks

Kevin.
Kevin.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Where is your report / review, good / bad / indifferent, we still want it.