Next step after starter kit

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Next step after starter kit

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am being asked this question. Obviously cables, they hold back the system. The next obvious answer is A30, but another cheaper option and will give better music and if you have bi-wire speakers then get another A20 and bi-amp.

A sensible easy way to do it is just buy another starter kit, then you have everything you need for bi-amp and you get a balance from the extra pre-amp. Dead simple P20 sits on top of P20 and A20 sits on top of A20. Because half the amp is doing just the treble there will be no overheating problems in stacking them.

If done that way you will need an extra short single interconnect per pre to short the channels. Or you can upgrade to P50 then all done in one box as the P50 has three sets of outputs.

I may be a little confusing for those who have never bi-amped so look here https://www.nvahifi.co.uk/building-nva- ... er-system/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Next step after starter kit

I have been asked if I can do mono A20s like the mk1 A40s by taking out one board, the answer is yes I could, but do I really want more complication, I would need a lot of persuading. Reason - the starter kit and the P20 and A20 on their own are just that - for starters, to progress from. It is very well priced for a reason. As most will be upgraded and you get what you paid back, so the extra profit in the upgrade justifies it. I do not want to extend the concept of cheap starters to upgrades, so if I did it, it wouldn't at the same price structure.

I am happy to recommend the bi-amp thing as how do you stop people buying two sets, you can't, and it requires no extra work for me where specials do, even if it means removing bits, or building them as specials.

boxswapper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by boxswapper »

Hi Doc,

I'm the original poster, Ive just typed out a long thing and lost it....ouch.
Ive owned quite a few amps over the years ap10 A20 A30 ap30 A60. Keep coming back to NVA after a few strays away.
I use Rega RS3s. And ANT Kora phono stage. Lenco L75 too.

Yes I was asking for A20 in mono. Reason is the Rega RS3s are single binding posts. And I cant be bothered with splitting wires, buying 2 stereo amps and getting bi wirable speakers. I think the A20 in mono would fit into your range really nicely. It makes a nice alternative to the A40 which is a different design for heatsinking purposes for those with harder to drive speakers.

Having owned the A20 stereo I can say with the Rega speakers, 89db efficient and simple crossover the amp only got warm when the wick was turned up. So I think A20 mono would work well, no overheating, in fact I guess it should run cooler as doing one speaker each. Also should sound better..

I prefer small form factor here. Big boxes never last too long despite having owned some good sounding ones. Just like dinky things. Was too late to get a cubette....anyone want to sell?

So chaps, lets show our appreciation for the possibility of the Doc adding A20 monos to NVAs ever expanding range!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have too many products, I will do it but you asked for cheap, they would be costed (because of the extra work) at £500. I explained they cannot be considered a starter so I cannot do the same price structure. If made they will only be specials and bought here via the NVA ORDERS room. Being specials you would also not be able to trade them in, but have to offer them privately to members. I would not like them out with non members just to confuse people, I have had enough of that in the past and it comes back to bite me.

boxswapper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by boxswapper »

Thanks for the offer to help Doc.
That's not far off the A40 monos..

I think I was trying to make the case to add it as a standard product and could see it being as popular as the starter set if priced competitively.
For those with reasonably efficient speakers such as my Regas the 'lower'( if you could call it that!) end is all they really need IMO.

Maybe others think the A20 mono should be made a standard product?? Twist the Doc's arm ;) C'mon peeps... support needed.. lol

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It wont happen, don't waste your time or mine answering it.