NVA Turntable

All things NVA
Alfi
Wales

Re: NVA Turntable

Unread post by Alfi »

The NVA Senior TT shown in Fretless's post is very elegant and I would be keen to ensure a large element of the Senior's performance (of primarily importance) and aesthetic (secondary) is retained..
Nothing is cast in stone yet, the wonders of modern CNC machining opens up a raft of possibilities as does model engineering plastics (at a cost).

I have much to do, but I'm certainly open to Doc's help and assistance with this project but I need to understand how he wishes to proceed with his information - either by PM or on the open forum?

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Either, don't care, your choice.

Chopsaw54
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Chopsaw54 »

Rectified wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:06 pm Whats the Arm! Manticore 'Magician'?
It certainly looks like one to me. As for the Mission 775, I've had a heavy version for as long as I can remember though I haven't used it for some time. I'm quite attached to it and don't envisage ever parting with it. I've been searching for years for an original drill chuck type arm mount without success.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Used both Magician and Musician, good arms. But I get very good prices from Doug as we were sort of friends. i helped him with electronic things he helped me with TT things. Did you know he was the Curse of the Claw, and I fed him lots of it.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Thanks Doc. I assume you retained the manticore's pulley and Premotec/Airpax 250 rpm AC synchronous motor? In my mind this motor is still suitable, though I'll manufacture new pulleys.

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Chopsaw54 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:21 pm
Rectified wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:06 pm Whats the Arm! Manticore 'Magician'?
It certainly looks like one to me. As for the Mission 775, I've had a heavy version for as long as I can remember though I haven't used it for some time. I'm quite attached to it and don't envisage ever parting with it. I've been searching for years for an original drill chuck type arm mount without success.

I was of the belief that the Musician and Magician arms were gimballed designs.

The one shown in the picture earlier on in his thread appears to me, unless I'm very much mistaken to be a nice uni-pivot?

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Manticore arms not uni pivot.

MarkWoody
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by MarkWoody »

Fretless wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:22 pm Image
I hope I can help! I bought this NVA Senior TT about 3 years ago (without the arm).

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index ... ic=17144.0

I knew it would be a while before I could do anything with it and did offer to lend it to the Doc, but he was in the process of moving...
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:29 pm She would quite like to have it for history sake, but at the moment with the move coming up (builders going in this week) we need all available dosh.
Unfortunately, whilst neglecting other essential stuff, I seem to have carried on acquiring rather more equipment than I can handle at the moment!

It has, therefore, remained upstairs (unused & still armless) ever since... which is completely ridiculous.

I'd love the Doc to see & hear it again, and to get Dave's (DSJR) thoughts on it too.
_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:23 pm Now this is one I'd love to 'keep' for you while you move :lol:
Love the way you turned the design on its head, having the arm and platter bearing solidly mounted, yet having the motor assembly on springs :)
Presumably it would also be very helpful to Alfi in his project - which sounds potentially rather exciting... but, whilst I did drive to Stockport to collect it, I'm certainly not planning to drive to Wales any time soon!

I could get it to Dave pretty easily though. Or even to the Doc with a bit more notice - especially if I could combine the trip to collect my Black Friday orders, and bring a Phono 2 with damaged mains cable for repair.

Cheers,

Mark

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:44 pm It is two plinths / plates. One has the bearing and platter and arm. The other has the motor. There are four springs one on each corner between the plates, and half squash balls underneath. Normal springs not conical. They are readily available, I just tried a few to get the spring rate I wanted, but don't ask what that was, too many years ago.

There is no adjustment, nor does there need to be. You should all know me by now, simple solutions that work.
Thanks Doc, I like it.

Does this explanation refer to your split plinth design that you said was too much hassle, or the preferred double layer plinth you ran with?

I assume it's the latter where you possibly mounted the motor on the lower layer, with bearing and arm affixed to the top plate and the sprung suspension between layers?

I'll work out the spring rates once I've chosen materials and calculated the assembled mass from that.

Alfi.
Last edited by Alfi on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am in the hi-fi trade.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

MarkWoody wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:22 pm
Fretless wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:22 pm Image
I hope I can help! I bought this NVA Senior TT about 3 years ago (without the arm).

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index ... ic=17144.0

I knew it would be a while before I could do anything with it and did offer to lend it to the Doc, but he was in the process of moving...
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:29 pm She would quite like to have it for history sake, but at the moment with the move coming up (builders going in this week) we need all available dosh.
Unfortunately, whilst neglecting other essential stuff, I seem to have carried on acquiring rather more equipment than I can handle at the moment!

It has, therefore, remained upstairs (unused & still armless) ever since... which is completely ridiculous.

I'd love the Doc to see & hear it again, and to get Dave's (DSJR) thoughts on it too.
_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:23 pm Now this is one I'd love to 'keep' for you while you move :lol:
Love the way you turned the design on its head, having the arm and platter bearing solidly mounted, yet having the motor assembly on springs :)
Presumably it would also be very helpful to Alfi in his project - which sounds potentially rather exciting... but, whilst I did drive to Stockport to collect it, I'm certainly not planning to drive to Wales any time soon!

I could get it to Dave pretty easily though. Or even to the Doc with a bit more notice - especially if I could combine the trip to collect my Black Friday orders, and bring a Phono 2 with damaged mains cable for repair.

Cheers,

Mark
Hello Mark.
Many thanks for your kind offer of help.

Whilst I would love to have that gorgeous beast here, I feel it' s not right, the Doc should have the option to play and listen to his music transcribed by it again.

However, photographs would be very helpful if you and the Doc don't mind? You may email them to me if you are OK with this?

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.