My NVA Amp Returns

All things NVA
guydarryl

Re: My NVA Amp Returns

Unread post by guydarryl »

SteveTheShadow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:03 pm I've been attacked from all directions for my own hi-fi adage that there are no lousy recordings, only lousy systems.
I still hold that view because no-one has ever been able to prove otherwise, and this philosophy was one of the reasons I ended up banned from AoS after clashing repeatedly with Arkwright among others, who took umbrage at being told that their "revealing" systems were actually piles of shite :lol:
A top music system should be able to get the best out of any recording. NVA amps seem to be some of the most capable in that respect.

Here's a secret: achieving this magical state of affairs is to do with adequate headroom from all parts of the system and some of the biggest tests of headroom are historical recordings on 78s and not so called audiophile recordings. Get your historical recordings sounding good and the audiophile stuff will blow you away. If your historical recordings sound unpleasant, you will never know how good your audiophile records can sound.

The headroom bottleneck is IMO why no hi-fi, no matter how good, will ever approach the sound of live music. We can however make a damned fine smaller facsimile with the right attitude to what actually matters, when trying to put a good system together.
Totally agree about not being able to approach the sound of live music with a hifi system, someone with a guitar in a pub gives me more musical "joy"/buzz than a system can.
Without turning this in to too much of an NVA loveliest, I would like to add that I was very dissatisfied with CD playback until I got my NVA. It also seems to get the best out of the CD format.

However, I am not convinced that you will be able to just "give up" putting together valve amps - when you write about them there seems to be a certain amount of love involved!
Last edited by guydarryl on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Nah! I won't give up valve amps completely, as Lotus says, there is something about them and when you get the bug, it is difficult to shake off. I'll always have a (home built) valve amp of some sort in the house.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I just want to add that in the big wide world of audio, any 'non-we' view of NVA is almost totally dominated by the man himself and his reputation... The few people who know NVA PRODUCTS usually have a high regard for them and yes, I wholeheartedly agree that NVA's total lack of harshness and general 'smear' helps digital reproduction no end, especially where emotional connection with the reproduced music is concerned - an aspect very few audio electronics designers acknowledge exists imo, let alone design bearing this in mind, although I think one or two speaker designers over the years here and there had a slight clue about it.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...