Best NVA Amps for Quad ESL57 Speakers

All things NVA
Bencat57
Great Britain

Best NVA Amps for Quad ESL57 Speakers

Unread post by Bencat57 »

Good Afternoon

I am looking for some advice on which of the NVA Range of Power Amplifiers would be best to use with a pair of recently renovated Quad ESL57 loudspeakers .

I know that NVA amplifiers are able to deal with the largely resistive load of the Quads but what sort of output is needed to get the best and most musical sound out of these speakers.

I am currently using an original Mark 1 Krell Ksa 50 class A amp and this is working but there is not the real sparkle I know these speakers can produce . I never thought I would ever part with this amplifier but I know I will be keeping the Quads and I need to get the best musical sound from them . I have considered looking for a Valve amplifier which suits the quads and considered an OTL but I would not be able to buy new and so would have issues trying the amplifier in my own system and my own room which given the need to ensure that the amplifier works with the Quads I am not inclined to risk buying blind.

Any advice would be welcome .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best NVA Amps for Quad ESL57 Speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Any NVA amp from A20 upward will drive them, if you want a stereo amp like the Krell then go for A60. On top of this you should use LS3 or 5 or 6 speaker cable and SSC or SSP interconnect if you want the full musical effect of NVA. Better cables are better.

You don't say what you are using as pre-amp this is also very important for best result.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NVA-A60-mk2- ... 3235049226

Bencat57
Great Britain

Apologies for the missed detail I am currently using an AVI S2000 line amp but I also have a Concordant Line Valve Pre as well . I have noted that I will need to use NVA speaker cable not only for the musical quality but also to maintain the Warranty .

I have used passive units in the past but they are not suitable for the Krell so have not used them for a while.

Can I ask would it be sensible to me to buy an A20 and then if it works perhaps upgrade that to the A40 Mono units or even the current A80 units on offer ? I appreciate this a bit of faff for you with units moving back and forward but I am really anxious that I get to hear the amplifier in my own system to be convinced that it is a musical step forward and not just a different type of sound if that makes sense.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You do what you want we fit in with you, yes start A20 if you wish but you must use a passive (should be nva for synergy) pre. You have two choices, drop your present pre / line stages and buy a P50 or P90 (SA for best music), or if you like the character the line stages give you then get a P20 as a buffer between them and the nva amp. NVA power amps are designed to be used with a passive.

Bencat57
Great Britain

I do not have the technical knowledge that at times I feel I should and it is often too easy for me to get blinded or confused when confronted with so called experts offering their take on certain cases.

I have placed a link to another site where they have put a discussion paper regarding speaker cables that should be used with Electrostatic Speakers . While much of it sounds reasonable I am again at a position where my knowledge on this is not good enough to see any errors or holes in what is being stated.

I know that many on here do have excellent technical and electrical knowledge and would appreciate if you could comment on this and if you feel what is being suggested that a coaxial cable is better for ESL units due to the different load they have to amplifiers . My understanding of Quad ESL 57 units is that they are a resistive load and so as little addition to the resistance would seem to be sensible .

http://sanderssoundsystems.com/technica ... hite-paper

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its :Bllocks: choosing types of speaker cable is what is suitable to an amplifier not speaker. AND amplifiers are so different that even that creates problems and confusion. Think of speaker cable as synergy with the amp, BUT some amps don't need that synergy if other elements in the amp design swamp the differences between cable loads, it all depends on how filtered or blocked the output of the amp is. To take complete opposites, most sensitive = NVA amps due to virtual complete lack of filters and output stage block, so speaker cable choice is critical and it doesn't matter if that is with NVA Cubes Quad ESL57 or horns. Opposite = most valve amps with output transformers as the output transformers effects swamp anything the cable or speaker is doing, so weird high capacitance or screened cables can be used and they may show sound differences.

High capacitance or screened speaker cable with unfiltered amps (and NVA aren't the only ones) will at the least drive them to instability or in extremis fry them. Do what you like with highly filtered or output coupled amps (transformer of capacitor coupled) so this article is FAR from expert opinion. I presume they are using valve amps.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

The article says that an electrostatic speaker presents the amplifier with a capacitive load. At the end of the first section is states that electrostatics are driven by a step-up transformer, which is inductive. The words "wool" and "eyes" come to mind.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The world of hi-fi is full of people mouthing off from a position of ignorance.

wackyraces
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by wackyraces »

Saunders - yes I’ve come across him before - he’s very much of the school of thought that Watts matter for headroom (hence his very powerful amplifier designs 500 - 1000 watts) - especially for speakers like the Magnepans.

Funnily enough I do like Magnepans and I really hope that if I get a pair I’m not restricted to ultra powerful amps. I do like my Croft pre/power and I wouldn’t mind trying NVA amps if they can cleanly drive Maggies.
System: AURALiC Mini - SPS DAC 3 - NVA P50sa / Croft 7 - Role Audio Enterprise

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

My NVA A40's worked very well with Magnepan MMG. Lovely clear presentation.

Drawbacks with the panels are that there is a lack of emotional connection to the music and the dynamic 'kick' that you get from cone drivers isn't there.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest