NVA feedback - what could be better

All things NVA
Alfi
Wales

Re: NVA feedback - what could be better

Unread post by Alfi »

Helo Mick.

Apologies if my question was a little ambiguous. I asked because you compared the expensive MF KW550 with a cheap as chips NVA A20. Not exactly a level playing field to be fair.

I have undertaken a DIY upgrade to my A20 whereby each board is now fed with a much larger power supply and better quality capacitors. The difference is enormous, smoothness is sumptuous and all the NVA attributes of clarity and the ability to make music remain. I would assume the upgraded A60, A70's and A80' s would easily match if not exceed what you have heard from the MF.

Best wishes.
Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

TheMadMick wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:14 pm Folks
Thank you for your interest in my kW550. If I might highlight the difference between an A20 (not upgraded) and the kW550.

There are 2 strong differences that don't seem to be power related:

a) the MF is smoother and more liquid - valve like in my view. The A20 is sharper and a little more dynamic. I can live with either. They are different not better or worse.

b) the A20 gives very well defined transients and images with pinpoint precision. The MF is more diffuse but artists seem to have more "body" - think volume. Again, different not better or worse.

I hope I made it clear, I'm potentially changing to reduce system volume and footprint. I could live with either very happily.
Your listening impressions of the A20 mirror mine.
Some people might think that with the A20 being a low powered amp it may therefore lack dynamics. That isn't the case. It's a dynamic sounding amplifier.
I use mine with efficient speakers.

It's not the best sounding amplifier ever made. It's not even the best sounding NVA amplifier. But for the price they were sold at, and especially the sale price I got mine at, they were outstanding value for money.

I think it's a huge compliment that the A20 is as good as but different to the kw550.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I realised how good the A20 is recently while it was in my main system when the A80s were being upgraded. I did not play any less music than if the 80s were in place. Having less volume was not an issue as I was raerly alone with work being done on the house. Good timing. :lol:
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: For Sale: Musical Fidelity kW550

Unread post by Classicrock »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:08 pm
Classicrock wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:20 pm
savvypaul wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:06 pm The easy answer is to hear them side by side in your own system. That's why we offer a 30 day home trial.

Trust your own ears. Classicrock has had a downer on NVA since myself and Tomasz restarted the company. He's had digs at the Cubes, SSP interconnects and now the amps (he hasn't even heard the MKIII amps). All things that he previously loved. It's all in the archive. At least he got to sell his gear, here, for free - saving him £££s in ebay fees - so we can't be completely bad! He's a lot more enthusiastic about NVA gear in his classifieds ads, btw :lol:

Seriously, though, I'd rather have honest feedback than anyone skirt around a problem. If there are issues with a product or you think something could be better, I will always want to know. I hope folks will see that we are investing our money to build on the strengths of Richard's designs, while adding professional business practices that will make NVA easy and enjoyable to deal with, both for existing customers and the new customers that we need to attract...
You really should not take every mention of other products personally Paul. I had a genuine issue with longer length of SSP in a certain context. Practically all my cabling is still NVA. I like how it sounds (or doesn't sound). Liked all the NVA kit I've owned. Little to criticise. Replaced some as something else worked better for me partly to reduce the box count as much as an uplift in sound. Still have Cubes and passive pre. Frankly if you are trying to alienate me as a customer you are going the right way about it. Still was going to send that cable in to split if it doesn't sell soon. Frankly I wish you and Thomasz every success with NVA. Just isn't the only good sounding kit out there and it isn't as much of a bargain now as Richard was able to charge so little. :mrgreen: Just supporting Madmick's sale as the big MF stuff is seriously good and not stratospheric in price as so many products are these days. As I said there are different flavours in hi-fi. In my experience a lot of it is sideways moves and just wanting a change. There is no absolute best or better.
I'm very much of the 'live and let live' mindset. There are lots of recommendations for other products here. Vive la difference! For that reason, I very rarely challenge opinions (I can't remember the last time I did so) but when I do it is usually when there appears to be an agenda behind them. You haven't heard the MKIII A80s, so why make the comparison? I thought the whole point was to let people make their own minds up, using their own ears. I'm not so much 'taking it personally' as 'scratching my head'.

BTW, I valued reading your comments about the Cubes, regarding efficiency, power requirements and maximum SPL. I thought that was insightful and valid, and it has informed some of our thinking with the new Cubes that we will introduce later this year. I'm hopeful that we can offer a driver upgrade for existing owners.

We are always happy to help with any issues regarding any of our products. If you're having difficulty (with SSP), email us or PM.

Regarding value for money, I've explained here, many times, that we have to pay things like tax (and soon, VAT), unit rent etc. Richard was the only one who could sell at the prices he did. The new NVA products are better quality and, still, excellent value.
Actually I didn't recommend or express whether anything is better than current NVA. Without hearing I could not possibly say. Just that there will be differences and preferences. I would say the difference in power between a 20w and 500W amp may be important to some unless they have ultra high efficiency speakers. Thanks for noting my comments about the Cubes. I think the RD version needs a lot of power to approach satisfactory reproduction in larger spaces so any improvements in that area will benefit some users. I discussed with Tomasz the possible issue with SSP when used with certain components and have concluded it is possibly a shielding issue over long lengths. A 1m length didn't cause an issue at normal volumes. I will possibly still be sending the 2m back to split into shorter lengths as it doesn't look like selling near the price I would accept. Tomasz can then check if there is any other issue.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)