New Speakers Yay

All general audio posts go here.
Sovereign
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Speakers Yay

Unread post by Sovereign »

These were the exact speakers I have been looking 6 months for.
I couldn't find them so I went for my OB's instead.
Looks cracking to me!
I'll buy your granny off you if it helps

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

Am now the proud owner of Epos ES22s and Royd Priors. Ooh bollocks, got a bit carried away. Priors were quite alot more expensive than I had hoped. :? Am away on half-term hols with the horde, so collect next week. Will let y'all know how I get on.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Nice one Neilardo,
Will be intresting to see the diff between the two.......
Look forward to yer findings.
jammy :clap: :clap:

familyguy

Unread post by familyguy »

I had a couple of bids on these speakers myself but they went way out of my budget . I'm a big Royd fan and these look stunning . Hope you enjoy them mate. :dance:

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Let us know how you get on, as familyguy says they look lovely, I guess anything does compared to mine.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

You are right Sov - Only their creator could luv em.......... :lol:

And you took pity on em........ :naughty: :lol:

Neilardo

Well it's a long time since I started this thread (TBH I'd forgotten). Since I got them, new job, moved house (twice), new dog, and most importantly changed primary source from Moon CD.5 to Technics SL-P1200 ASC.
These are really lovely speakers and I'm very happy I bought them. At the time I was using a NVA A60 into Epos ES22.
The Royds are massive with a large footprint of rubber coated steel, with their huge twin ports they look pretty ugly without their grill imo, and the grills are bit DIY, however they're made from really lovely chunky wood. They have as I said twin front firing ports which are huge, the 8" bass cone is undoped, the cabinet undoubtedly has a large volume, and there are good quality Bi-wire terminals on the back. So quite clearly different from the usual modus operandi of Mr Ackroyds main body of work. :ugeek:
However what they do is sound amazing at low volume levels. Sure they're great/pretty good at higher volume levels. A whole lot less artificial sounding than the Epos', music swoops around, starts/stops, integrates seamlessly. TBH I pretty quickly stopped trying to hear the differences, hear different details, hear whether all the frequency ranges well balanced etc it was obviously just better. BUT in the evening I can turn down the volume to very quiet levels and it's all still there, lively when required, dynamic even when quiet. Ackroyd magic. :grin: :clap:
My one caveat is that a higher volume levels (than I would normally listen) the tonal balance does become a little dependant upon your position in the room (i.e. bassier in the corners etc).
Aaaanyway, it's an old thread so don't want to bang on too long. Very happy I got them even at the price I paid. If you get a chance e to hear a pair I'd heartily recommend it. :guiness;
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Neilardo

Royd Prior
If anyone has the room for them then I'd recommend these, might be a very good price.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

When Joe found a consistent speaker driver he stopped doping, plus it was only him capable of using the gear for testing the process (originally designed at Wharfedale when he worked there). Getting old and fed up with the industry (you think I moan a lot you should have talked to him :lol: :lol: ) and to be honest was losing the desire to bother. But he never made crap so they were good, he found ways to compensate.