Ask a designer

All general audio posts go here.
wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ask a designer

Unread post by wallace »

Oh no, Russ Andrews;;10 Acoustic enhanced and deep frozen cable ties,,,£125.00.Must put my order in before Xmas . :? ;)
Jammy might already have some by next week,looking at the forecast..
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

jammy395 wrote:
Yes it is - And they have introduced a range of special LP12 modded cable clip - That the dedicated Linn geek's swear lift performance levels....... :whistle:
Aaah...you'll obviously be talking about the new 'Klip' upgrade. LP12 owners have been using their own version of it for years (available from Maplin - £3 for a pack of 50) but Linn claimed that no improvement would be brought about by using it. That's until some years later when Linn brought out their own version and, all of a sudden, it's a 'must have' accessory.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Same with Naim,they said for years that their mains kettle lead was all you need,until they realized that they could sell one for £500 .Quite a few sheep bought one of them.
The emperors new clothes springs to mind... :lol:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I sometimes use an REL powered subwoofer if I'm playing about with smaller speakers. I normally use one of the sets of outputs from the P50 to send a line level signal.

The Sub also comes with a "speakon" lead that you take a signal from power amp speaker outputs instead. It's claimed that this is a sonically superior way of integrating a subwoofer because the sonic signature will be more similar.

I'd like to ask two thing if that's ok? First, does that make sense or is it another "tall tale". Second, I'd like to know if this feed from speaker terminals of a power amp adds significant extra stresses on it. I'd wonder how not only NVA amps would cope, but also how it would affect low powered valve amps.

I've not seen anything written on this anywhere and it has always struck me that it must have some effect on an amp. If someone had come a cropper and blown their amp up, you'd expect to have seen something on the net. I just don't want to be the first :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have never understood it, it is a REL thing. I think it is illogical and technically and sonically stupid. Of course it alters the load on the power amp and makes that load far more reactive. With unconditionally stable amps like solid state Quads it is fine, with NVA and some others it is not. Stick to using the pre-out, that is one of the reasons it is there. THOUGH I distinctly dislike subwoofers, I have never heard a musically integrated system that uses one. They were just another fad. I understand it for the likes of Bose as that is lifestyle product, where they want mini speakers and a hidden boom box.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers, Doc. I figured as much but REL seem to stay silent on the issue so I thought it worth asking.

I've never had or even heard a sub before this one. I've used it intermittently for the last year or so and I've been very pleasantly surprised in that it doesn't seem to make its presence felt in any negative way. Mind you, I only use it very subtly and even then only with small speakers.

I was going to try the Speakon with a valve integrated but perhaps not. Thanks again :D

dalko1967

Unread post by dalko1967 »

Hi Doc.
I'm found early P50/A50 set (metal cases) on Ebay. Are you still servicing them (they fully working now)?
From your point of view will be a big musical difference compare to your new amps?
Micromega Stage5/Garrard DD75/A&R P77/NVA Phono 1/NVA AP30/NVA Cubettes/LS5/IC NVA SC/NVA AP10/Beyerdynamic DT 990

dalko1967

Unread post by dalko1967 »

This is from description: internal circuit board is labelled 'Nene Valley Audio Ltd 1982 A-50 Issue 1'.
Micromega Stage5/Garrard DD75/A&R P77/NVA Phono 1/NVA AP30/NVA Cubettes/LS5/IC NVA SC/NVA AP10/Beyerdynamic DT 990

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yes (if and when they need it)
and
Yes, well depends what you mean as big, it sounds like an NVA amp.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

dalko1967 wrote:Hi Doc.
I'm found early P50/A50 set (metal cases) on Ebay. Are you still servicing them (they fully working now)?
From your point of view will be a big musical difference compare to your new amps?
Hi dalko1967, Im sure Doc is surfing through his electronic data base for info on the specific model mentioned as we debate - he will be along shortly... :lol:

By the way where are you from - You wouldn't be from Newcastle by any chance...... :think: :whistle: :hand: :lol:

Edit - Damn pipped at the post again.