Jerry's ongoing system blog

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Jerry's ongoing system blog

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

i am sure if you ask the people who you place in your cd drawer of an evening could have produced such music part time whilst working they would say "could I fucK"

mainly because they were probably high on drugs . :grin:

It always struck me that wealthy recording artists was easy to justify , you make something , people want to buy it , if you sell millions you make millions. Of course in 70's you had to pay 98p in the pound tax on earnings of millions .

radio stations make a profit .Why should some one else make money from something you did .

and it is now difficult for new artists make money from selling product , so the situation moaned about as come true . However the rip of price of product is partially responsible.

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

Fretless wrote:Valid point DQ. It would appear that streaming services are finally getting around to paying artist royalties. Although I worry that they will acquire a 'stranglehold' position within the music industry, where they determine what and how much artists will be paid.
Think the labels are doing very nicely and not really worried about the streamers - just another revenue channel now
http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/19/86215 ... y-contract
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

I'm not talking about the '70s, I'm talking about today. Led Zep and Steely Dan deserve their millions, no arguments there.

But in the 70's the musicians were proper musicians, every band had at least one member who was classically trained and there was real talent. Now it is just re-hashing what has been done before, but badly and I've no interest in it. I don't know what drugs they are taking these days but they obviously arn't working...

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Fugg sound quality assessments - Do you like the MUSIC coming out??? :grin:
I think this is the relevant bit of my previous post Dave, and the most important bit as far as I am concerned ....
jandl100 wrote: There's a classical music treasure trove on Tidal. :o

.... You'll have to take my Tidal subscription from my cold dead fingers. :P
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

jandl100

wallace wrote:Considering the cost,is it twice as good as spotify,which i think is good enough... :think: :whistle:
That's a fair point.

Before signing up with Tidal hi-rez, I spent an evening streaming from Amazon Music, which is MP3 quality, the same as Spotify and Tidal lo-rez, I think.
Tbh it was very good and I enjoyed it a lot.

But for £10 a month - 33p a day - I thought it was probably sensible to get the best quality I could. That way the inevitable niggling doubts could be avoided!
But if I 'had' to listen to the half price streaming service at MP3 quality that would be fine, too.

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Sandman »

I thought the tenner a month was like Spotify, and the hi-rez - hifi - is twice that, so not sure which one you have signed up for?
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

wallace
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

Sandman wrote:I thought the tenner a month was like Spotify, and the hi-rez - hifi - is twice that, so not sure which one you have signed up for?
Tidal is £20 a month,Jerry,you might be in for a surprise when you look at your statement at the end of the month... :angry-screaming: :whistle:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Spotify streams use Ogg Vorbis compression instead of MP3, Oggs are more musical and less flat-sounding than MP3.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

jandl100

wallace wrote:
Sandman wrote:I thought the tenner a month was like Spotify, and the hi-rez - hifi - is twice that, so not sure which one you have signed up for?
Tidal is £20 a month,Jerry,you might be in for a surprise when you look at your statement at the end of the month... :angry-screaming: :whistle:
yes, I know it is. Well, £19.99 to be exact.
I meant the hi rez was a tenner extra. I thought that was pretty obvious in the context of what I posted. ;)

Sound quality assessment - compared to my CD transport de jour, not quite as good at 3D imaging, but more articulate and defined. Definitely CD quality, and good CD playback at that. :handgestures-thumbupright:

jandl100

The return of Darth Vader's amp ...

... aka Restek Challenger - 130wpc integrated.

I've had one before, but felt that I hadn't given it a proper go before the next bright sparkly thing got my attention.
Saw this for a good BIN price on eBay yesterday, and here it is today, looking like the Evil Empire reincarnated.

Waiting for the wife to get up so I can have a blast with it.

I've another amp arriving today as well, where is that darn courier? :epop: