Been thanked: 0

Re: Jerry's ongoing system blog

Unread post by jammy395 »

Jerry keep posting - Luv it....... :clap:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Long may Jerry's wander lust continue, his blog would be boring without it. There are many things in past blog entries I have never heard of, let alone heard :shock:

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

The last couple of 'music/audio visitors' here over the last couple of weeks have said my system is the best they've ever heard.
:think:

I tend to agree - so no changes planned for a while - too much risk of fekking it up!
---- I'm getting the shakes already - withdrawl symptoms. :P
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

jandl100 wrote:The last couple of 'music/audio visitors' here over the last couple of weeks have said my system is the best they've ever heard.
:think:

I tend to agree - so no changes planned for a while - too much risk of fekking it up!
---- I'm getting the shakes already - withdrawl symptoms. :P
Lots of people get that, I get that as well when my system is running. I think you have to largely ignore it otherwise you end up with system ego mania like Marco. Take it all with a pinch of salt, everything can be improved and some people like being polite :mrgreen:

jandl100

Yep, true enough - but after my last listener I had to wipe up the drool stains once he'd left. :-?

-- Dire Straits 'money for nothing' played at 11 on the dial - it did sound rather good. When the Big Stuff cut in after the slow intro his jaw hit the floor. :lol:

My current project is to try and get my vinyl setup to sound even 1/10th as good as my CD source.
-- actually, I'd rather just ditch the bloody thing! But I know myself too well, I'd just get drawn in to have another go. :doh:

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

" I had to wipe up the drool stains once he'd left "

Normal problem in the care home or OAP home environment. Most Hi-Fi owners are getting to that stage now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jandl100

It's cute.
And it's little.
And it sounds very good.
The new toy is on the right.

After falling madly/deeply out of love with my analog LP system, a mega charity shop LP haul* has reinvigorated my love for the dang things. :doh:

* Actually, this was a big donation at the charity shop where I do some volunteer work - it turned out to be dozens, maybe a 100 or so, of minty classical LPs. Yum! I've been selling them off on AOS (and a bit on the Wigwam) on behalf of the charity (Cancer Research UK), Anyone interested, see my FS threads on AOS music classifieds. ;)
Of course, I get first dibs on any that I fancy buying - which has been quite a lot! 8-)

Anyway, where was I? - ah, yes, I'd been using the phonostage in my Marantz vintage receiver, then the one in my Harmon Kardon amp ... but with the arrival of a whole load of new LPs I thought I'd invest in a pukka stand-alone 'stage again. Hence the arrival of the above-pictured Musical Fidelity V90-LPS phonostage.
It got some very enthusiastic user reviews on Amazon, and the MF V-series has a good rep for vfm, and I picked up a discounted new one from a dealer in Germany, via ebay.

Open sounding, with very good 'presence' and (sorry) palpability. Good solid bass line, too. I know you can get faster, slammier dynamics from more expensive 'stages, but it's still pretty good and does me fine for my 99% classical listening. A def step up from the 'stages in the vintage amps, although they were good, too.
Very very pleased with it. :guiness; I think you'd have to spend a lot more to get to the next sq level.

Such is my revived enthusiasm for vinyl, I've also invested in a new turntable for a 2nd system I have in a different location, so I can play records there as well. That hasn't arrived yet, though. It's a bit different, to say the least. :whistle: You folks will be the 1st to see it. :epop:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Youve got me guessing now Jerry................ :lol:
Just Chillin....!!!.jpg
Just Chillin....!!!.jpg (5.83 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

jandl100

Almost right, jammy - two of those - one for each channel. :grin:

jandl100

No, this isn't the unusual tt I was expecting - hopefully that will arrive tomorrow.

But I've been curious about one of these cartridges for a long time, loads of folk saying how good they are, well, I just had a hankering to try one and one came along at a sensible price on eBay last week.
And here it is installed and playing.

A Denon DL-110 high output MC.
Very early days yet - postie delivered it about half hour ago and it's only been playing a few minutes, but it sounds open and lively and quite bubbly and enthusiastic. Very promising.