Jerry's ongoing system blog

All general audio posts go here.
jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Jerry's ongoing system blog

Unread post by jandl100 »

:snooty:
Last edited by jandl100 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

jandl100

Re: Jerry's ongoing system blog

Hi Jason

I had a PS Audio Power Plant Premier (PPP) prior to trying the PowerInspired AG1500. I was tempted by the nice low price of the AG1500 and had seen one at a friend's place. So I bought an AG1500 and directly compared it to the PPP. To my happy surprise, the AG1500 stomped the PPP in terms of sound quality - music was more dynamic and open, by quite a margin - and I was able to make an overall profit on buying the Ag1500 and selling the PPP. :D

I had considered the AG1500 a few months previous to that, before buying the PS Audio unit, but was put off by the fan ... but that really is not an issue - it's turndownable and must be the quietest fan installation I have heard. And I'm a fussy b*gger when it comes to extraneous noise.

Curing hums? I've read reports that folk have had good success with that, although it hasn't been an issue for me.
Lots of folks on the Wigwam forum have bought one and the vast majority seem suitably impressed.
Of course, the effectiveness of this sort of device will depend a lot on the quality of your mains to start with!

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Interesting. In the past I've wired hi-fi with 10mm cooker cable (because I had the opportunity to do so) and I thought that made a difference (generally cleaning up the sound). Now I have a similar opportunity and I'm considering doing the same or maybe using armoured cable (as I think applemarc has). I've shied away from such mains conditioners in the past on the principal the no component is better than the best component of all.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

applemarc
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

I now have a separate consumer unit that has two Radial circuits with a total of eight sockets for my hafiz only one TDS per circuit all with 15 amp sockets so no fuse
Beresford Caiman Ipod

f1eng

Unread post by f1eng »

figlet108 wrote:Hey Jerry, that's a great idea and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the life of a boxswapper unfolds.

What caught my attention in particular in your first installment is the PowerInspired AG1500 mains regenerator.
I'd really like to try a mains regenerator at home and see if it a) gets rid of the very annoying humming I get from my amps and speakers and b) improves the music.
I've been attracted by the online comments on the PurePower+ range

Do you know anything about these, and did you try out any other regenerators?
Does your regenerator reduce hum?

Jason
Hi Jason,
I also have the same unit as Jerry. I mainly bought it since my Goldmund stuff, bought whilst I was living in France, is 220V and I get transformer hum when the mains here drifts up to almost 250V.
It fixed my hum, which had been particularly severe on the power supply for turntable and arm, and the SQ is better overall too. Brilliant.
I haven't plugged everything into it yet but I am impressed so far.
With the fan at minimum I can just hear it at my listening chair when no music is playing.
It does mean that I -do- switch everything off (i.e. switch the AG1500) when I am not going to be using the system. I know this is a no-no for some (and was for me).
cheers,
Frank

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Hi Jason
Good to hear from you and hope your are well.
I recently got a Purepower 1050 of ebay to replace the PS P300 I had ( incidentally bought from MartinT of AOS who has reviewed LS6/7 for Richard). My reason for getting the regeneration bug started when looking for a power upgrade for Garrard 401. I had looked at Martin Bastins which I think works on the same AC-DC-AC regeneration pricinple before Martins P300 popped up. I was shocked how much it improved the 401 with better timing and a real grip on the music. I used it for my phono 1 which it improved by a smaller margin. I recall reading Jerry's post on how it significantly improved his power amp more so than other piece of gear. So having the TSS amp I looked for a more powerful supply hence the 1050. It is another step up from the PS ( albiet an old tech P300 ) and it improved the 401 even more.

I have now plugged in the Nexus which jumped up performance wise ( similar to changing from the switching to linear power supply ). Likewise the MDAC has improved bass wise and tighter cleaner sound. I have not yet plucked up the courage to plug in the TSS ( it trips out the house mains when I start it up after fiddling with speaker cables etc.)
Hum wise it did reduce what little hum I had before but for me it is a seriously good upgrade for the whole system at one hit. It is worth for me just even for what it does
for the 401 and I have been converted to 'regeneration' 8-)

ps any movement on the TFS transport only front ?

jandl100

terrybooth wrote:I've shied away from such mains conditioners in the past on the principal the no component is better than the best component of all.
Hmm. Well, OK, I can sort of understand that, although I suspect I don't agree with it! I'm a fan of active rather than passive pre-amps, for example, although I have enjoyed both.
But I think it's different for mains regenerators. If you assume your mains is perfect, I bet you are wrong! A genuine regenerator like the AG1500 simply has to be good news, where it just creates it all afresh with a nice pure sinewave. Your no-component approach would just let all the bad vibes thru - where's the sense in that? :?

Just my opinion, but based on a fair few mains filters, fixers and regenerators as well as taking the juice straight from the wall, unadulterated.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Jerry if you ever get the power amp meet up organised either at your place or at Martins, and if you have time or room I can bring my TSS along to put some extra interest in it.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

jandl100 wrote: If you assume your mains is perfect, I bet you are wrong!
Hmm, point taken. No I don't assume my mains is perfect - I would be daft to do so since there's so muc more other stuff inside and outside the house that will affect it. My only real experience is that 10mm cooker cable spurs seemed to sound better than 2.5mm ring main. And this was hardly an A B comparison since rewiring the house came in between :!:

As they say, food for thought. Particularly since I already have three power distribution units in the house and don't know if I can have another (although I do have one lying about which I replaced to install another with RCD circuit breakers. Hmm) :think:
Last edited by terrybooth on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

terrybooth wrote:
jandl100 wrote:
terrybooth wrote: If you assume your mains is perfect, I bet you are wrong!
Hmm, point taken. No I don't assume my mains is perfect - I would be daft to do so since there's so muc more other stuff inside and outside the house that will affect it. My only real experience is that 10mm cooker cable spurs seemed to sound better than 2.5mm ring main. And this was hardly an A B comparison since rewiring the house came in between :!:

As they say, food for thought. Particularly since I already have three power distribution units in the house and don't know if I can have another (although I do have one lying about which I replaced to install another with RCD circuit breakers. Hmm :think:
When a visited this over 15 years ago my conclusion was that what ever I did made it musically worse, though in hi-fi terms it could be defined as better. Anyway things may have changed with these new products, so I keep an open mind. I don't think I will be designing one though, I have enough on my plate.