Is there a way of making my speakers better?

All general audio posts go here.
Sovereign
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is there a way of making my speakers better?

Unread post by Sovereign »

This may be a daft question, I am currently using Heco Celan 700 ported speakers and I love what they do particularly in the mids and treble, however I find the bottom end to be very full and deep but a bit slow and wooly. My question is, is there anything I can do about this ?
I have moved them around the room a bit, and bunged one of the reflex ports all having pro's and con's to the sound. Would it make much difference if I tried to mod the X-over ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Is there a way of making my speakers better?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sovereign wrote:This may be a daft question, I am currently using Heco Celan 700 ported speakers and I love what they do particularly in the mids and treble, however I find the bottom end to be very full and deep but a bit slow and wooly. My question is, is there anything I can do about this ?
I have moved them around the room a bit, and bunged one of the reflex ports all having pro's and con's to the sound. Would it make much difference if I tried to mod the X-over ?
Use your Goodmans Magisters.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I can only speak personally , but my speakers are the same size and uses 4 drivers a box like yours . I didnt however start from a commercial design , i had a box and bought the drivers .I did however take the docs advise .
I blocked the port
i wired them in series not parrallel
and i dispensed with the crossover save for a resistor and capacitor on the tweeter and 5 inch midrange .

these changes made the presentation much more musical . the frequency response according to my computer model is not the flatest but acceptable , but everythng seems to be much more immediate and real .

Sovereign

Daniel Quinn wrote:I can only speak personally , but my speakers are the same size and uses 4 drivers a box like yours . I didnt however start from a commercial design , i had a box and bought the drivers .I did however take the docs advise .
I blocked the port
i wired them in series not parrallel
and i dispensed with the crossover save for a resistor and capacitor on the tweeter and 5 inch midrange .

these changes made the presentation much more musical . the frequency response according to my computer model is not the flatest but acceptable , but everythng seems to be much more immediate and real .
Thanks for the advice, but I would need a step by step procedure to follow.

Sovereign

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Sovereign wrote:This may be a daft question, I am currently using Heco Celan 700 ported speakers and I love what they do particularly in the mids and treble, however I find the bottom end to be very full and deep but a bit slow and wooly. My question is, is there anything I can do about this ?
:) Your right, the Magisters have a full tight and fast bottom end but I love the Mid and top of the Heco's. I had bee thinking of taking the 15 inch driver out of the Magisters and making a completely bespoke speaker.
I know I can make a lovely speaker cabinet, but I know nothing about making a X-over, what do you think Dr?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sovereign wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
:) Your right, the Magisters have a full tight and fast bottom end but I love the Mid and top of the Heco's. I had bee thinking of taking the 15 inch driver out of the Magisters and making a completely bespoke speaker.
I know I can make a lovely speaker cabinet, but I know nothing about making a X-over, what do you think Dr?
Well then the answer is obvious disconnect the wires (AND INSULATE) from the Heco bass drivers, and disconnect the wires from the Magister mid and top drivers and put the cabs side by side. If you bi-amp you can then adjust the volume down on the 15incher if it is overpowering the Heco (as it is more efficient).

If you are happy then build the Heco mid and top drivers into the Magister cabinet.

Sovereign

Good idea, I have to give it a go,

Daniel Quinn

Soverign not sure a step by step guide is possible and its certainly wouldn't be entertaining , though i am happy to discuss on pm.

if you bi-wire there'a a quick way to try , disconnect the bass driver wires from the crossover and wire them straight to speaker binding posts on the inside . [take a photograph of the crossover wiring before you do this . ]

parallel wiring is desribed on you tube , there is a link on the old forum

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi,

I'm not sure if your Heco speakers are floorstanders but I found that the following helped out my Rega Ela mk1 in the areas you mention:

A local stonemason let me have some marble off cuts (slab about 1" thick) for no charge. I drilled holes in the base of the slabs, and used araldite to secure three spikes in the base. My Ela's now sit on these - I think that the mass of the Ela's and length of spike was not enough to fully couple with my concrete floor through the carpet and underlay as the speakers used to wobble about quite easily.

I have since seen similar bases on ebay for ridiculous amounts of money.Only cost me about £20, so worth the experiment in my opinion.

Best wishes. Guy
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Daniel Quinn

I did the same, but I used 14mm granite breadboards from wilkinsons £10 each. Something identical described are Wilson Benesch stone plinths which are £250 on ebay :lol: :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Isolation-Pli ... 342wt_1132