Am I ripping CD's correctly?

All general audio posts go here.
Sovereign
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Am I ripping CD's correctly?

Unread post by Sovereign »

Any SIMPLE step by step guide would be appreciated!

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

Got to be honest we've never bothered with this so a new area for us I will update
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Sovereign

No rush in any way.

Sovereign

This may be one for Figlet,

I have been downloading albums from itunes Lossless and all that, Is it better to rip CD's straight into my laptop?
Secondly do any of these other Media Players re produce music better???

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I tell you what computer audio is more bloody complicated than having a turntable . :D

Sovereign

figlet108 wrote:Hi Sov,

there's nothing wrong with downloading lossless files and playing them from iTunes.

However, people do say that the different formats sound a little different, with most preferring WAV, AIFF or FLAC. But I don't know whether that's just another tedious religious war or if there's something in it.
I use AIFF or uncompressed FLAC as they are both lossless AND uncompressed (which reduces a little load on the machine.) But really you'll need to take your favourite music and do the experiment for yourself.

On the other hand I much prefer making my own rips from CDs so I can be in complete control of the process. Just because it's a lossless format doesn't mean it's bit-perfect. Sometimes volume gain or other manipulations are applied to download files. The thing is to find the software and the process that works for you.

Similarly, different media players (and the way they are set up) do sound a little different and the word on the street is that iTunes isn't the best.

I didn't choose the Mac as my media platform of choice so I can't advise on specifics, but this page may help as a starting point:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/conte ... ware-list/
Scroll down to 'Music Playback and Management'

I get the impression that nobody on this forum has really explored different software options for ripping or playing music on a Mac, so it would be good to share whatever you find.
Thanks again!

Sovereign

Daniel Quinn wrote:I tell you what computer audio is more bloody complicated than having a turntable . :D
Your absolutely right and the crazy thing is this is just the very tip of the iceberg.
I am very much a plug and play person.
I love to fiddle around but digital fiddling is not for me at all.