Am I ripping CD's correctly?

All general audio posts go here.
Sovereign
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Am I ripping CD's correctly?

Unread post by Sovereign »

There are dozens of threads on this matter all across the WWW. and each thread has thousands of posts. Magazines writes pages and pages on this theme and I switch off VERY quickly, but I would like a 'computer' person to tell me if I am doing things correctly and if there is anything else I can do to improve the sound of my computer based hifi system.
I have a MacBook Pro, I pop a disk in the side, it downloads in lossless format with the auto correction thing, and I play it via a USB cable through my MDAC.
It seems like a very simple process to me and all sounds great through the NVA's, but have I missed something here? Can I make things sound better? :?:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Am I ripping CD's correctly?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sovereign wrote:There are dozens of threads on this matter all across the WWW. and each thread has thousands of posts. Magazines writes pages and pages on this theme and I switch off VERY quickly, but I would like a 'computer' person to tell me if I am doing things correctly and if there is anything else I can do to improve the sound of my computer based hifi system.
I have a MacBook Pro, I pop a disk in the side, it downloads in lossless format with the auto correction thing, and I play it via a USB cable through my MDAC.
It seems like a very simple process to me and all sounds great through the NVA's, but have I missed something here? Can I make things sound better? :?:
Yes buy a TFS then you don't have think about, Jason has optimised it already.

Sovereign

:lol:

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

I will check to see if you are missing anything in the settings
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Sovereign

What is it that makes a speaker sound faster?
My ATC's were pretty quick, my Heco's are slower my ES22's are faster still :?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sovereign wrote:What is it that makes a speaker sound faster?
My ATC's were pretty quick, my Heco's are slower my ES22's are faster still :?
Speed of response to the leading edge of the note. It is something the ear is very sensitive to. A blurring or slower rise time to the leading edge of the note is perceived as slow. Can be drive units, crossover, too much wadding, cabinet waffle, no end of things and combination of things.

Sovereign

Thanks for the feedback

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

You could also try and use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to rip and check if it sounds better. I use it since the first CD I ripped, it's a bit hard to optimise, but I always get perfect results with it. Here is an in-depth guide how to setup EAC.
http://blowfish.be/eac/Setup/setup1.html
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

Is that for PC's
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Well yes it is, but I've read that people run it on Macs somehow. I've never owned an Apple computer, so I have no idea how to do this, but I am sure there is a guide how-to somewhere on the internet.
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum