EPOS ES 22

All general audio posts go here.
Sovereign
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

EPOS ES 22

Unread post by Sovereign »

I made one of my classic impulse purchases on eBay the other week like I usually do, thats how I got into NVA- a complete impulse, SO BLOODY GLAD I DID.
I bought a pair of Epos ES 22's. I have had a couple of ES11's in my time and always loved them, everything sounded alive, but I soon went to floor standers as I wanted the scale that the ES11's couldn't produce due to being stand mounts.
I seem to be flickering a lot between speakers at the moment as I am trying to find out what works, I have recently had ATC 35's which were stunning but I had to sell to sort a tax bill out. I still have Goodmans Magisters with their 15 inch drivers - very good but need some tweaking and will be a project for the near future but I was quite impressed. I also still have a cracking pair of Heco Celan 700's- masses of scale and the mids and treble is effortlessly lovely, but they are slow and the bass is wooly; and now I am listening to a pair of Epos ES22's I bought for £292, very very impressed indeed!!!
They are dead quick, very communicative and very detailed. I was concerned they would not have the depth bass that the others have, and they don't but they are deep enough for me. But I have leaned it is not the depth of bass that really turns me on but I love clarity of bass and I love it to stop and start as quick as possible and this is where the ES22's fly. The bass is fairly low but they start and stop so quickly, so the sound is really punchy, yet full bodied at the same time.
The level of detail combined with my A80/A40 combo is incredible. I often listen in a pitch black room, I keep on hearing sounds all over the place that is at times spooky. I have always said all I want from hifi is for the music to sound real and live and the ES22's do that brilliantly.
Thanks Terrybooth for answering all my questions pre purchase :-)

familyguy

Re: EPOS ES 22

Unread post by familyguy »

Glad you're enjoying the music. Sounds like my kind of sound. I like the bass to drive the music along, to provide the timing if you like, not to take over. . I know the sound of the speakers is room dependent too but can you please tell me what cables you are using. I'm using a little pair of Royd A7s at the moment but was thinking of using a larger speaker. These may be right up my street.

Sovereign

LS5 cable,
my room is 9.5ftx20ft
Really really impressed, there is a pair on eBAy right now, but they are going for a little more than I paid, but mine are a little marked.

familyguy

Unread post by familyguy »

Thanks my room is 9.8ft x 29ft so I imagine these would fit the bill. I use LS6 BTW , A big upgrade IMO..

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Ah, interesting.

I had a pair of ES30 for a while, and was surprised how much I enjoyed them....

They liked being real close to the rear wall, or they sounded a bit thin, and unlike most speakers that didn't seem to screw up the imaging. And as in the photo, I found they worked best on low stands. Bass tightened up and the mids got even clearer and more articulate. Well worth a try with a few soup tins or similar to raise them a bit as an experiment! Just don't let the missus see you doing this or she may call the men in white coats! :shifty:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Sovereign

What did you replace the ES 30's with

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sovereign wrote:What did you replace the ES 30's with
Jerry is an inveterate box swopper, he has replaced what replaced them many time over. It is a major part of his hobby pleasure, but his very expensive German jobbies he uses now have hung around for an incredibly long time for Jerry.

Ask him to list all the speakers he has had in his system over the past 5 years - it will be a long post :mrgreen:

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Yup, spot-on, Richard.

For better or worse, my speaker swapping days are over for the foreseeable future. The MBLs have been with me for well over 2 years now and are here to stay.

What replaced the ES30? ..... sheeesh, I dunno. Hmm, actually I may be able to deduce that from my records ... lessee ... nope, I seem to have lost my records for 2006/2007 which is the period I think I had the ES30.
At the start of 2008 I had Bowers Active Ones, then Quad 57, then SD Acoustics SD1, then Audio Physic Virgo 2, then Leema Xavier, then Horning Zeus, then Martin Logan CLS2z, then Infinity Reference Standard 2.5, then the MBLs.
Hmmm ... :think: ... I may have left out some along the way ....

A lot of fun was had! :dance:
Last edited by jandl100 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Sovereign

Did you ever try the 22's against the 30's?
Have you ever tried the 25's?

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

familyguy wrote:Glad you're enjoying the music. Sounds like my kind of sound. I like the bass to drive the music along, to provide the timing if you like, not to take over. . I know the sound of the speakers is room dependent too but can you please tell me what cables you are using. I'm using a little pair of Royd A7s at the moment but was thinking of using a larger speaker. These may be right up my street.
I'm using them with LS6 which really made quite a difference. (Look on the old forum for reviews).
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro