In tribute to Joe Ackroyd

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: In tribute to Joe Ackroyd

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Daniel Quinn wrote: p.s can somebody clarify the well being or otherwise of Mr Akroyd, not sure the equivocality on this forum is appropriate . His wiki page mentions nothing and neither does the internet .
Nobody knows to my knowledge. He just closed the factory sold the stock of spares to one of his largest dealers (they don't know either) and turned his back completely on the industry, thoroughly pissed off with it, about a year or two after I did the same, but I came back. He would be in his late 70's now so likely not around. I don't know if he retired and stayed put (in which case a search for death records in Telford might come up with it) or retired to the coast or country.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Ta Doc , that's Rather sad for somebody who has brought a lot of joy to peoples lives .

familyguy
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by familyguy »

Do you know if any companies still stock spares for his speakers Doc .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

AFAIK they have all run out, there is a website dedicated to the memory perhaps they can help http://www.roydaudio.com/

familyguy
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by familyguy »

Been there Doc . Thanks anyway , parts occasionally pop up on Ebay . Guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There are other people doing what Joe did. Solid cabinets with minimum or no damping, tailored / doped drive units so as to keep crossovers to a minimum.

So his legacy in many ways lives on. One posts here :roll:

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Just remembered Tim de Paravicini - another alledged COG ( cantankerous old git :D )
A quote attributed to him apparently was something like " hifi is a strange hobby - full of dangerous amateurs " :?:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

29mile wrote:Just remembered Tim de Paravicini - another alledged COG ( cantankerous old git :D )
A quote attributed to him apparently was something like " hifi is a strange hobby - full of dangerous amateurs " :?:
Well the one who posts here is me :P and I am not sure I am a dangerous amateur :mrgreen: