Cartridge Demagntizier

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Cartridge Demagntizier

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

hello knowledgeable fellow forum members .

so ive read all the theory upon demagntising low output moving coils ,apparentlyt its either a revelation in removing a layer of god's know what to make the cartridge more transparent and zingy - just like when it was new or , it is a self defeating solution whose benefits are moderate at best , temporal and will ultimately destroy the sound .

whilst my cartridge is newish [ january] the manufacturer deos sell a demag [ benz micro] so im intrigued .

So is it a worthwhile purchase or hifi bullshit ? Anybody got any thoughts or empirical experience ?

p.s - ive still only got one thumb/hand so forgive spelling and grammer , otherwise i would be here all day . try doing capitals with one hand !!!! :violin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cartridge Demagntizier

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

All I can tell you is a cartridge relies on permanent magnets with coils around them in order to function. So it seems rather counter productive to demag them.

Daniel Quinn

Thats the gist of what Mr VDH says in a v long internet article and to my none scientific brain I like the logic, but Benz do sell one.

Uncertainty drives me mad :lol: and its also not a suck a see kind of thing either, if the detractors are correct.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Daniel Quinn wrote:p.s - ive still only got one thumb/hand so forgive spelling and grammer , otherwise i would be here all day . try doing capitals with one hand !!!! :violin:
Its the as instead of has I can't cope with, it is every time, I correct them if I see them.

Daniel Quinn

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Its the as instead of has I can't cope with, it is every time, I correct them if I see them.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought I was going mad, I was re-reading and I thought there's no way I used the correct h/as in that sentence, or maybe I did, I must be getting better :D

I was once bollocked by a very angry judge - HHJ Seymour for exactly the same thing as I had wasted his precious time, he counted 18 in one witnesss statement.

As I said to him, I'm from oldham in pronunciation there's no such thing as has and as. :D

(corrected :mrgreen: )