Rega EL8 speakers.

All general audio posts go here.
familyguy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rega EL8 speakers.

Unread post by familyguy »

Anybody know anything about these speakers. Very little information on the internet.

Ronin

Re: Rega EL8 speakers.

Unread post by Ronin »

"The EL8 was and still is regarded as a classic and this was the first example. Produced from 19..to..it's ability to produce a natural, bright, cohesive sound and compact size made it an immediate hit. However, to keep up with improving technologies and fashions the EL8 soon had a dramatic face lift and tweek, becoming the Alya which went into final production during 2004. It's replacement can be loosely seen in the new R3."

"The Kyte bookshelf loudspeaker along with the EL8, Ela and Xel loudspeakers was one of Rega's best selling. A compact and simple speaker with reguard to it's crossover and style the kyte set the inherant qualities that Rega still strive for today in our new range - high quality componants matched with lots of lateral thinking and a large helping of structural intergrity. The Kyte was replaced with the Ara, which has now been replaced with the R1 in 2004."

This is from some Rega archive.

Don't know if it's any use.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Rega learnt how to build speakers from Royd.

familyguy

Thanks for that Ronin . I couldn't find very much information on these on the internet . Luckily the guy selling these wasn't too far away so I went and had a listen and bought them immediately . These are very musical and ' communicative speakers. The EL8s use the same bass drivers as their latest speakers , the RS3s . A tribute to the quality of this driver perhaps.
Richard you have made a good point . I believe that one of Regas' speakers used Royd drivers . The Alya I think it was . Although the EL8s are slightly bigger than Royds' Minstrels they sound very similar to them , with a tad more bass maybe . These little speakers can get a little raucous if driven at high volume levels , but keep them at sensible levels and they sound excellent . I'm a happy ( family ) guy.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Hi,

I think that it was the Ela mk1 which used Royd drivers (full length fluting on the front baffle, no dust cap on the driver). The initial design was said to be a joint effort.

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

familyguy

Thanks Guy wasn't sure , I stand corrected. :D

Tim Jones

Unread post by Tim Jones »

The Kyte was a pretty good bookshelf speaker, especially when the wick was turned up. The Ela was often a brilliant speaker. But the EL8 didn't really work. It was a bit too small to function as a proper floorstander and lost the fun and neutrality of the Kyte, without acquiring the (relative) oomph and amazing treble of the Ela.

The RS3, which is probably the Ela's closest descendent, is a lovely speaker and I'm constantly delighted by them.
Rega P9/RB1000/DV Te Kaitora Rua; Clearaudio Balance; Rega Saturn; NVA P50SA; NVA A80s; Rega RS3s.