Avondale Audio - the end ?

All general audio posts go here.
29mile

Avondale Audio - the end ?

Unread post by 29mile »

Happened to come across this recent post by Les Wolstenholme ( founder/owner of Avondale ) on PFM

"In any event, I'm looking now, at almost 70 yrs, to wind down the operation and spend some long-lost-time with my wife of 42 yrs.
We've worked our butts off for as long as we can remember and were it not for her career in education, I would not have been able to run Avondale. It may come as something of a surprise to the select group but I haven't taken any kind of salary for at least fifteen years rather, I've always had another 'project' in the pipeline to siphon away any of the modest 'profits' my operation has made.

I'm not crying in my beer by saying this, it's been my choice to enjoy the valued friendships and consequently the social life the business has brought over the years.

It may be that a buyer for the business will come along before I wind down and in that case, it would be satisfying to see the company go on into the future.

Either way, here is one very fortunate bloke, content with his lot.

Thanks guys for all the support over these many years. "

Never heard any of his amps but his Naim upgrades are well reviewed and he was clever enough to exploit a niche market. Could be a good business opportunity for someone looking for a career change :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Avondale Audio - the end ?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Sorry did not see it. Came across the quote while looking at his new tonearm design. Did he not turn up at the Subjectivistic bake-off at Waltham Forest a couple of years ago ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yes he was there, nice guy, one of the few in this industry who actually knows what he is talking about.

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Yes I recall he was impressed by the TSS/TDS's powering Jason's Audiovectors. His partially magnetic tonearm seems a clever design and by all accounts his power regulators are some of the best on the market. Shame he was mauled so much like you say by the Naim sheep on PFM - criminal lack of respect for a very dedicated audio designer.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

What do expect from idiots like that, and PFM is full of shills, you can't take the place seriously. If you had spent half of your life being brainwashed and wasting loads of money it is a hard thing to back out of because it makes you feel such an idiot. Which also explains why those that break the mind set become so anti Linn and Naim, it is like being rescued from a cult.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I have an Avondale homebrew amp that I bought 2nd hand. Les was very helpful a few years back when it blew a couple of fuses when I asked for his advice on fixing it.

Avondale are good amps at reasonable prices. It'll be interesting to see what direction Avondale takes after Les retires.