C'mon - Yer first HiFi......?

All general audio posts go here.
guydarryl

Re: C'mon - Yer first HiFi......?

Unread post by guydarryl »

Rega planar 2, ADC XLM mk 2, Quad II, Wharfdale Glendales (replaced with Mission 710 speakers - I still have fond memories of these).

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

f1eng
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by f1eng »

My first system was a Garrard SL75 turntable with a ceramic cartridge wired in mono to the microphone input of my valve mono reel to reel recorder/amp/speaker.
I went stereo whilst at uni, same turntable in a homemade plinth and lid with Empire cartridge into a heathkit amp driving Wharfedale 8"RS/DD speakers in home made boxes. In retrospect quite good sounding.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

My first real amp, i.e. one that wasn't part of a "music system" or a radiogram (ask your parents) was one of these...

Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

nat8808
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by nat8808 »

Well, yes, does it have to be my Panasonic midi system that was a present?

First thing I bought myself was a Kenwood KD2550 turntable to go with my midi system at uni. Must have been a Pioneer SA610 and some Celestion UL6s after that as my first seperates and later an Aiwa 6900 tape deck from Loot - all based on looks. CD player was still the midi system or my lowly 386 PC with Gravis soundcard.

When I moved out of my parent's house after university I discovered eBay, bought a big chunky Pioneer SA9500 and Philips CD101 and Celestion 332s (again all about design - looks and feel). At some point I got bored with the SA9500 some months later and it sold for £125 more than I bought it for. That was the eureka moment that got me thinking I could channel that profit straight back into another bargain find and just grow and grow my hifi to something grand without spending another penny! 11 years or so later and I have hifi gear to swap about worth several £k all from that original acorn. It's not been strictly speaking that way but in terms of the numbers it is - sometimes had to sell kit to pay rent but then put that back later when I'd earned it again etc etc.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I've come to the conclusion that I'm actualy still on my first HiFi. It's a lot like Trigger's broom, it's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles but it's still the same broom.Image
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X