Reviews and reviewers - are they necessarily bad?

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Reviews and reviewers - are they necessarily bad?

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

jandl100 wrote:seem to have built up a fair following of folk who like to try the things I have liked.
Not always successfully , should I say reso-mat :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

No review is universal and no reviewer is omnipotent, that is the story of this thread. Jerry likes what he likes it is other peoples responsibilities if they follow it or take it seriously. *NO ONE* should be deterred from writing their opinion about product owned or tried, nor should they be criticised if some other people think they are wrong, just give your own review if you disagree.

Daniel Quinn

I 100% agree .

just friendly banter and I'm absolutely sure Jerry won't be deterred by me being entertaining or an arse depending upon your perspective . :mrgreen:

Daniel Quinn

And just to show youre correct.

I am currently struggling to decide if a very cheap 1.5m interconnect is better than my 40cm £120 quid interconnect between phono and amp. D-day will be tommorrow as i am off work.

This interconnect was recommended by Jerry and purchased for that reason and the price.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Some times the harder you try then the less you can see the wood from the trees. I find my instinctive first impressions are normally right, as when I get used to the change it becomes harder to tell, but long term I always know as it becomes an emotional choice reflected in the music. If you just look for hi-fi things you can make the wrong choices because all you hear is difference. For example I am only realising *how* much better LS6 is to LS5 now it has been in my system for over a month, and eventually when I replace it with LS7 I will know about that, but at the moment it is out for beta test. I know 7 is better I just need to quantify it when its turn comes.

jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jandl100 »

Daniel Quinn wrote:... This interconnect was recommended by Jerry and purchased for that reason and the price.
Wot?! :o .. I've never heard of you before this tiddlypom forum got refreshed recently -- you're one of my many forum-stalkers are you? :?

Honestly, it really is a bit disconcerting sometimes - some people I've never heard of before remember FAR more about what kit I've owned in the past, and what I thought of it, than I do! :shock:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Then it is getting dangerous Jerry as fame just creates sheep and then we just have the same problems as at the mags. We should all be doing it and helping others to, not just feeding our ego fame.

jandl100

Daniel Quinn wrote:
jandl100 wrote:seem to have built up a fair following of folk who like to try the things I have liked.
Not always successfully , should I say reso-mat :D
Werll - some folks like it and some folks simply don't have a good enough tt to appreciate it. :mrgreen:

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Daniel Quinn

it was a very recent recommendation Jerry , I think last week sometime because it arrived tuesday.

p.s - you forgot cloth ears as well as poor T/T :D
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jandl100

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Then it is getting dangerous Jerry as fame just creates sheep and then we just have the same problems as at the mags. We should all be doing it and helping others to, not just feeding our ego fame.
Yep, I have to agree, in part.

I just post on forums what kit I have recently obtained and what I think of it. It's not my fault if some people regard my musings as the sequel to the New Testament, something to be memorised, venerated and 'treated as Gospel'. :lol:
I really have been taken aback sometimes!