Fuses

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fuses

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sorry it is complete nonsense, there is so much safety redundancy built into a modern mains system due to the intelligent consumer units now used. The UK 13amp plug for a start was designed after the war so we could use less copper in house wiring by adopting a ring system, which was a crap decision that haunts us now in house fires and bad hi-fi. So removing the fuse from that is basically meaningless apart from making up marginally for our bloody awfull mains distribution system. For example, the fuse is supposed to protect the cable, yes necessary when cables were rubber insulated with what is basically braided fabric around the outside. Modern cables are flame proof and if they overheat due to over current then they will trip the consumer unit long before the cable even get hot enough to give you a blister let alone flame. The *ONLY* reason you should not remove that fuse is because the thieving bloody insurance companies will use it as an *excuse* not to pay out.

Then we have the case fuse in the amplifier. If that is there it should never be removed as it protects you from an internal short that puts potential on the case. The answer, use double insulated regs in your design and then a case fuse is unnecessary, as with nva products, and in fact cannot be used as the fuse casing is single insulated by its very nature therefore nullifying class two regs.

Then we have speaker line fuses, could anything be designed more successfully to f-up the music. Spend a fortune on high va power supplies, high current output devices to have the whole benefit nullified by a couple of 3 amp glass fuse - bloody daft.

I do wish people would spout from a position of knowledge and not just trot out what they have read being written by idiots - especially at wigwam.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

What's complete nonesense ? :?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It does take time to write a long post you know :roll: the last post when I started to write it was Jerry's.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

One thumb danny can appreciate that and i'm sure that's all the clarification anyone will need :D

Sovereign
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Sovereign »

Who wrote what on Wigwam?
The difference sorting out my mains in my old house was superb.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

On wigwam the management have banned any discussion of fuses or mains electrical wiring, and if anyone talks about removing or changing fuses they are immediately banned.

Sovereign

That's me stuffed then :D

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:.... I do wish people would spout from a position of knowledge and not just trot out what they have read being written by idiots - especially at wigwam.
:o
yup, you can get a permanent ban from the Wigwam for suggesting you bypass fuses.

And yes, that's where my "knowledge" came from! :?
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Sovereign

That's absolute bollocks. Why is the wam so restrictive?
Surely it's up to the individual what they do in the end and the responsibility is on them, not Wigwam.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Someone seems to have convinced the owner at wigwam that as publisher of such a post he could be liable in any law suit emerging from a house fire in one of his members houses who followed the advice in any post about mains thingies.

Where as I don't have to rely on stupid paranoid advice, as I happen to know something about the subject.