CROSSOVER LESS SPEAKERS.....

All general audio posts go here.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

CROSSOVER LESS SPEAKERS.....

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hi folk's,
Just wandered if anyone out there has had any dealings with crossover less loudspeakers ?
I heard a pair of Reference 3A De-Capo's a few years back, and if my memory serves they were bloody good.
Doc being of the keep it simple school has no doubt dabbled.......
I dont think crossover less speakers are that common....So what gives.
jammy

:think:

Ali Tait

Re: CROSSOVER LESS SPEAKERS.....

Unread post by Ali Tait »

You mean using full range drivers? Yes, me likee. My OB's use a Visaton B200 from 200hZ up. I find full rangers just sound more coherent than multiway speakers.

Ali Tait

They tend to be less common as good full range drivers are not cheap, so commercial offerings tend towards the pricey.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I do , I followed the docs advise which can be found on the archive.

I am so happy with the results that ive stopped "fannying about" i played bruse springstien Thunder road live before i went out this evening and I loved it . clapping at the begging realistic, electronic paino to the right full bodied without any treble sting, voice so real , i could visualise his head moving to and fro from the mike and the emotion , ho my giddy haunt. This as been my experience since i did it.I know play REM Honey , every day so i can revel in the guitar riff that starts immediately and goes on through the entire song

My experience of equipment is nominal, but I know music and my hifi now plays music. :D :D So much so that now my only desire is to hear others peoples so i can get some perspective . So come on lets have some bake offs .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It depends what you call a crossover, things can be done mechanically or electrically, I believe as much as possible should be done mechanically. So in the NVA Cube / Cubix speakers the bass / mid is doped and used in the acoustic so no components / crossover are needed. The tweeter needs a capacitor to protect it and a resistor to balance it to the bass mid, but I don't call that a crossover. A small number of speaker manufacturers do the same, where as the daft lot who follow the BBC speaker philosophy use components everywhere and it seems as many as possible and there is nothing more likely to FF up the music than that, in amps, speakers or anywhere.

Ali Tait

Yes, in the early days things were done mechanically with very high quality drivers, properly designed for their particular application.

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Yes I have owned Epos ES11's and loved them, I now use ES22's and think they are truly superb! :lol:

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

The trouble is a large driver can't do high frequencies properly, a small driver can't do proper bass, a medium size driver can't do either and they all add intolerable (to me) colourations when they try!

I agree that the "BBC School" of speaker design (e.g. Spendor) throw out the musical baby with the bathwater and over-engineer things to get a totally flat freq response and kill the musical life of the music in the process.

Even a 2-way is a big compromise usually leaving a 'gap' in the middle (e.g. many ART speakers) or a weak bass (small 'bookshelf' 2-ways).

For me, musical happiness lies in the middle. 8-) ... well, kind of in the middle :shifty: - my speakers are 4-way, 6 driver beasts and are totally superb. :lol:

Just imo and ime, ymmv.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Jandl100
But not all of us want speakers that look like they might take off to the moon at any time :o

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Neil Armstrong - RIP :(

Anyway, I think they look like Robby the Robot. 8-)
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)