SUPER TWEETER'S.......

All general audio posts go here.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SUPER TWEETER'S.......

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hi folks,
Any one cast any light on using super tweeters ?
Web bumff says they not only improve the highs but bass as well....etc
Townshend and tanoy make them but a pit price if they dont work.....
Any thoughts
jammy

:think:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: SUPER TWEETER'S.......

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

IMO, don't bother. Tannoy need one :roll: which is probably the result with them, everyone else including Townsend are looking for new ways, as opposed to better ways, to make money.

Some very large and expensive horn systems I suppose justify it, as horns are only tuned to one frequency, so are always a compromise. So you could just get smaller and smaller, in theory down to a few millimeters.

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Never heard them. Read mixed reviews but mainly positive. I know Russ Andrews sells them. And he has a 60 return policy so if they are not what you are looking for just send them back.
They aren't cheap though. I could think of better ways to spend me wonga

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

I've had the Townshend supertweets.

Tbh you are far better off spending your money elsewhere. A lot of money for not much improvement/change - if any, imo.

Some of them come quite low down in frequency 10-12KHz sometimes - you can hear them squeaking away!! :lol: - so they just add to the sound from normal tweeters - bit of a tone control really.

As Doc says, for speakers that are rolled off in the treble anyway this can be a good thing - e.g. Tannoy dual concentrics, Quad 57. But you need to have bat ears to get above 20KHz. Most of the oldsters on hifi forums can't hear much above 12-14KHz anyway! :whistle:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)