Turntable basics

All general audio posts go here.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Turntable basics

Unread post by selby »

Cheers for all the information everyone, been great feedback!

I'll collect the Luxman tomorrow and then take some photos etc, see if I can get Nick Drake sounded good on it!
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

selby

Unread post by selby »

Also interested in people's thoughts on how I best isolate the TT?

I've been looking online and see expensive options, tennis balls, squash balls, sand boxes, inner tubes the list is endless...so what isolation platforms are people using? I can't use a wall mounted shelf unfortunately.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

My Business

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

The Doc's answer for DD turntables is a heavy table. I've got mine on an old record rack (from the days when 100 LPs was a large collection). the cheap option was always the IKEA Lack coffee table. My advise is to get something in and get used to the sound it makes and then start tinkering, otherwise you won't know whether you are making it better or worse.

I bought some relatively expensive stands with glass. Sounded crap. I then improvised a decoupling table by putting a hi-fi table top (AKA a sheet of chipboard) on 4 plastic BB pellets on the glass top. It was very wobbly but sonically worked fine for a CD player.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

selby

Unread post by selby »

I collected the TT earlier today...looks lovely I must say! Got to save up some pennies now for that NVA Phono 1.....

One thing I was interested in finding out was the power cable and phono leads both disappear inside the body of the TT and both look crap...is it common practice to upgrade the power lead and the phono cables?

My Business

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yes no problem, take the base off and see how they are attached, if it is confusing put a photo up here for us to look at.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

A lot of vintage hi-fi does come with leads and terminals that look crap by todays standards. In my experience this hasn't stopped them from sounding good. It's up to you. You can change the power lead and signal leads if you want, or you can leave them original if you want.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Listen first, fettle later.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Good advice! 8-)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: