Turntable basics

All general audio posts go here.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Turntable basics

Unread post by selby »

Out of the other Pioneer DDs what's worth looking for as I guess the PL-71 goes for more than I'm able to spend?
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If you are lucky you can get one at less than £200, especially if you get it posted from the USA.

selby

Unread post by selby »

Now you've set me a challenge!
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

My Business

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Where about's are you Selby? Not Selby?

Only asking as the Audio Jumble is on the 7th October in Tonbridge and there are often good buys there. There was actually a Pioneer PL-71 at the last one, can't remember exactly how much it was but £225 seems to ring a bell.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

http://www.thevintageknob.org/ and http://www.audio-heritage.jp/ as well as Google are good places to start a bit of internet research into interesting turntables as well as other vintage hi-fi components.

selby

Unread post by selby »

Well Doc I landed the Luxman so will have to give it a shot...if its no good I'll have to flip it and then search for a PL-71

I've never setup a TT properly so going to be a steep learning curve I think!

My Business

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

£122 sounds like a bit of a bargain to me. Just take your time, make sure everything is clean and tight, set it all up right and you'll not be disappointed. What cartridge are you going to use?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

selby

Unread post by selby »

I need advice on cartridge, setup, positioning basically everything to help it sing!

My Business

selby

Unread post by selby »

On top of the entire setup be good to get some phono stage suggestions? I believe NVA do one? My long term aim is to purchase an NVA amp either integrated or mono/pre however at the moment I just can't afford it.

By the way my only NVA experience so far is listening to a AP10H which I was gob smacked at!

My Business

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Once again Google is your friend .

there is also a forum called vinyl exchange dedicated to turntables, you will find the original manual for the turntable on there as well as all you need to know about cartridge alignment , vta, checking speed stability . Your first issue is the cartridge , it doesnt say what model of shure it is and it is more probable than not that it will not be in tip-top condition ,as you have £80 of your original budjet left , my recommendation would be to replace it , Im sure others on the forum will suggest some models for you.