Turntable basics

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Turntable basics

Unread post by Lindsayt »

A Jico SAS stylus for the Shure might be one possibility, or a new Denon 103 or 110 another. For phono amplification an NVA would be a fine choice. On a limited budget a 2nd hand / vintage pre-amp or integrated with built-in phono amplification might be another choice. Again maybe one of the classic Japanese models that would have been at the top or near the top of their product range.

selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by selby »

I'm going to try and get Richard at Vantage Audio to service it and install a new cartridge etc..

Any good links or advice on the positioning of a TT, this one will be about 4 meters away from the amp.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Main thing is to avoid vibration from the speakers getting into the tt. Either by distance away from the speakers or suitable support such as wallshelf on sturdy wall.

4 metres is a long distance for the tt to phono amp. The lead that comes with your tt will probably be about 1.5 metres long. I like to keep my tt to phono amplification leads short due to the mind boggling tiny signals coming from MC cartridges.

selby

Unread post by selby »

Ok, a shorter distance can be arranged...going to have to move the equipment and speakers around a little.

Do I need to look at isolation options or is that only required if I get issues...there seems to be a million articles on setting up a TT and a further million accessories to improve them...not sure what's really needed and what's just bollocks.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

My Business

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Once again Google is your friend .

there is also a forum called vinyl exchange dedicated to turntables, you will find the original manual for the turntable on there as well as all you need to know about cartridge alignment , vta, checking speed stability . Your first issue is the cartridge , it doesnt say what model of shure it is and it is more probable than not that it will not be in tip-top condition ,as you have £80 of your original budjet left , my recommendation would be to replace it , Im sure others on the forum will suggest some models for you.
Very good suggestion Daniel but it is Vinyl Engine, very good source of info.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Argghhhhhhhhhhhh

every time i google them i always get then the wrong way round , the vinyl exchange is of course a v good second hand music shop in manchester . apologies Selby if I sent you off on a wild goose chase . :doh:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

selby wrote:Ok, a shorter distance can be arranged...going to have to move the equipment and speakers around a little.

Do I need to look at isolation options or is that only required if I get issues...there seems to be a million articles on setting up a TT and a further million accessories to improve them...not sure what's really needed and what's just bollocks.
Just have a play with it, most tinkering about costs nothing or very little and can make a definite difference/improvement. For example, my TT isn't ideally placed, (in fact none of the system is ideally placed but that's life in a household of 5), it just sits on top of a fairly sturdy AV type rack. I tried it just sitting on the glass top and then some sorbethane feet but it suddenly all snapped into focus with some little blocks of wood placed directly between the chassis and the glass top, simple, effective and that's how it's been ever since.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

selby

Unread post by selby »

Ok, well I'll have a go at getting it setup correctly, will take some photos and post them for feedback and suggestions.

If I don't get on with it I'll flip it and hunt down one of those PL-71 as you all seem to rate those so highly...jeez I need more money!!!

My Business

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Its only me singing the praises of the PL71, I suppose because I post so much and shout so loud I look like the whole forum :oops:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

selby wrote:Ok, well I'll have a go at getting it setup correctly, will take some photos and post them for feedback and suggestions.

If I don't get on with it I'll flip it and hunt down one of those PL-71 as you all seem to rate those so highly...jeez I need more money!!!
Ha! The bug has bitten you, young one 8-)