Turntable basics

All general audio posts go here.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Turntable basics

Unread post by selby »

This is my first post on Hi-Fi Subjectivist so first of all hello!

I'm currently just getting into HiFi and am looking for a budget turntable (I had a Project Genie that got stolen...never liked it anyway) for around the £200 mark.

I know that's a small budget but times are hard and I just can't stretch to something more pricey at the moment. I've seen several mentions of Dual 505's, Thorens TD160 and a few Pioneers.

Can anyone make some recommendations and even better point me in the direction of one to buy?
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Daniel Quinn

Re: Turntable basics

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

For that money - ebay is your friend .

for what its worth, IMO , this is currently the best bargain on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pink-Triangle ... 27cab69e66, but I do think it will eventually go for more than £200.

selby

Unread post by selby »

Yeah I thought I'd have to rub shoulders with Ebay to find this turntable...

I've added the recommendation above to my watchlist...anymore suggestions?
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

My Business

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

selby

Unread post by selby »

Interesting I hadn't seen the Luxman PD264 before...if I were to win the item could anyone recommend someone that could service and setup the turntable correctly?

My Business

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If it runs to speed it doesn't need it.

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

Good call on the Luxman - I had a PD171 a while back. It's a remarkably pretty turntable, and speed stability was good (after a while: it needed some adjusting). Arm is good too.

Richard at Vantage Audio (if you can get hold of him) is my point of contact for servicing direct drive turntables. He'll have it singing as new.
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

selby

Unread post by selby »

What price would you say is acceptable to goto for the PD264?

My Business

selby

Unread post by selby »

Any thoughts on a Pioneer PL514 ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180961615832? ... 500wt_1207 ) might go for more than I'm looking to spend I guess.

My Business

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

There is a discussion here -
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=115258

However , It is a belt drive and those that recommned pioneers on this forum are fans of the direct drive models , once again for what it worth , for the money with no bids and only 3 hrs to go , a fully functional plug and play model for £50 is not bad money . if you dont like it , you probably get a fair % of your money back re-selling it.