A CLASSIC CONUNDRUM....

All general audio posts go here.
wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A CLASSIC CONUNDRUM....

Unread post by wallace »

Anesthetise wrote:Oh boy, the average salary in Poland is like £5-6k (a year obviously), and most people get around £3,5-4k, so what are we talking about :icon-rolleyes: I don't even work yet! :lol:
I would say that for the music you listen to your system should sound very good.I see no point in expensive upgrades.
I listen to mostly electronic,jazz ,etc,when i get the urge to hear classical music,i go to a concert,you can't replicate the smell of an orchestra.. :lol:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You don't need big speakers, you need speakers that sound big.

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Of course it sounds great - the musicality is incredible handling everything I listen to easly. But as Doc said - they don't sound 'big', thats why sometimes I end up playing them too loud without the spacey effect. And I'd like to hear something else, as I've just heard 3 serious pairs of loudspeakers up to now, including my Royds.
I'm tempted to check out one of these Magnum SL's which are on ebay right now, the only problem is postage. Everybody demands collection in person, which is just practically impossible for me :roll: And there is no chance I would be able to get one of these vintage classics here in Poland. I thought about arranging a courier as I'd need just a postage to Thatcham - my uncle is going to Poland in November by car, that makes a great opportunity to get some nice speakers. There is just no way I could make him drive around UK, awkward... Do you know of any *cheap* courier services that could pick up some speakers directly from the seller?

Sorry about going off topic :oops:
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

You don't need big speakers, you need speakers that sound big.

Yep.......A bit like........It aint the size of yer tackle it's' what you do with it......?

:lol:

jammy395

£4.5k for Bozak Concert Grands is a joke. I paid £500 for my Symphonys.
BOZAK.jpg
BOZAK.jpg (8.65 KiB) Viewed 3677 times
Mr Bozak...With a lovely little speaker...wtf...No LS3/5As here........ :lol:

jammy

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Anesthetise wrote:Of course it sounds great - the musicality is incredible handling everything I listen to easly. But as Doc said - they don't sound 'big', thats why sometimes I end up playing them too loud without the spacey effect. And I'd like to hear something else, as I've just heard 3 serious pairs of loudspeakers up to now, including my Royds.
I'm tempted to check out one of these Magnum SL's which are on ebay right now, the only problem is postage. Everybody demands collection in person, which is just practically impossible for me :roll: And there is no chance I would be able to get one of these vintage classics here in Poland. I thought about arranging a courier as I'd need just a postage to Thatcham - my uncle is going to Poland in November by car, that makes a great opportunity to get some nice speakers. There is just no way I could make him drive around UK, awkward... Do you know of any *cheap* courier services that could pick up some speakers directly from the seller?

Sorry about going off topic :oops:
Interparcel - you can put what ever collection and delivery address you want.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The thing is, you're more likely to get a big sound from a big speaker than a little speaker. Hoffman's Iron Law. Also big speakers can be remarkably inexpensive 2nd hand because few people want them in their houses. You just need to avoid brands like Tannoy which have a following that pushes their prices up.

jammy395

Oh just noticed...(see pic).... Mr bozak has a screwdriver in his hand /Aand a smile on his face......Mrs Bozack must be fukin panicing now.............. :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Lindsayt wrote: You just need to avoid brands like Tannoy which have a following that pushes their prices up.
Mostly Undeservedly :geek:

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Thank you all, I'll see what I can do 8-)
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum