JPW

All general audio posts go here.
alfafan123
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: JPW

Unread post by alfafan123 »

Hi Guys,

Late to reading this thread..as usual sorry :roll: but looking for some good small cheap bookshelf speakers for my 2nd system. After a particularly depressing experience of listening to some modern beer budget speakers at a well known high street hifi emporium for cheapskates like me and for those of us who can't easily get to hear some JPWs or Royds could the the Doc (and any other users) please :pray: say why he/they rate them?

Might encourage me to take a punt on fleabay and do some Doc modding. :think:

cheers

Chris

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

Anything from the JPW 'P' or 'AP' range is worth a look. Sealed box, no port, decent drivers, good timing, clarity and tone.

The JPW 'mini monitors' imo are not worth the bother, I'm sure Doc mods will improve them but you are starting from too low a base.

Never heard a Royd.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I have a pair of JPW Mini Monitors with steel plates inside.

They look a bit scruffy, but works and sounds fine.

Chris, PM me if interested.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have some Doc Modded Royd Envoy £100

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I think those Envoy's now weigh a ton as well if memory serves..

Just going to add that the Denon SC-E313's mentioned earlier can be got for very little money and the 'antique' rosewood finish still looks smart. I liked the Denon SC-M50's too, the extra size over the dinky SC-M5's being well worth it IMO. All available for often well under fifty notes.

I never heard the Docs little JPW's as a properly set up stereo pair, but what I did hear, they were lively but in a good way, with that 'tactile' quality that simple speaker systems have in spades.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

[quote="_D_S_J_R_"]I think those Envoy's now weigh a ton as well if memory serves..

Just going to add that the Denon SC-E313's mentioned earlier can be got for very little money and the 'antique' rosewood finish still looks smart. I liked the Denon SC-M50's too, the extra size over the dinky SC-M5's being well worth it IMO. All available for often well under fifty notes.

I never heard the Docs little JPW's as a properly set up stereo pair, but what I did hear, they were lively but in a good way, with that 'tactile' quality that simple speaker systems have in spades.[/quote]

Those wee ML-110i speakers are fun sounding things.

S.
Shane Lonergan.