My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Didnt try , still waiting for my new bearing with replaced sapphire . But i have tried immobilsiing the bounce previosuly with pieces of polystyrene between the subchassis and top plate . On the Anni this sounded worse but on a PT Export it sounded much better , visually it eliminated the belt tugging the sprung subchasis from side to side , caused by the motor being fixed to the top plate and i attributed the better sound to this .
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well at least you are open minded enough to try things and follow your ears, now try and get the Rega shillers at AoS to do the same thing - fat chance :roll:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Query -

Does anybody know

a] if there is a term for the springiness of spring ?
b] if there is a direct corralation between the gauge of metal used to make a spring and its springness and the useful weight it can support . ie - is 05mm more springy than 1mm.

I have just purchased some new springs for my TT and whilst they are the correct length and diameter at 1mm thick steel they dont bloody stretch or spring when supporting the subschasis motor bearing and platter . Now i know for the Doc this would be an improvement :lol: , but it just wont do . :naughty:

thanks
A quick web search reveals that the appropriate term for springiness is 'springiness'. I'd have thought that there'd be something about this linked to mechanical watches because the hairspring is a fairly complicated thing. However, my guess is that springiness has a lot to do with the material used - after all we don't make springs out of cast iron for a good reason. In other words - same dimensions but different material (including particular steel alloy) = different springiness. The other answer is that you clearly haven't been doing enough work with your bullworker before attempting this job. Remembering of course that after tight comes broken.

No help at all :mrgreen:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

howardc1951

Unread post by howardc1951 »

Daniel Quinn wrote:I have just purchased some new springs for my TT and whilst they are the correct length and diameter at 1mm thick steel they dont bloody stretch or spring when supporting the subschasis motor bearing and platter . Now i know for the Doc this would be an improvement , but it just wont do .
Just a thought for what it's worth (probably not a lot!) but the pink triangle (original one) that I had used very soft extension springs whereas the Garrards I had used compression springs.

Daniel Quinn

Thanks Doc , 6 hours of study and Ill be able to answer my own question :lol:

and thanks Howard .

Daniel Quinn

Update on the disaster that is my hifi any PT owners may want to look away.

Following the relocation of my hifi to a smaller room in a new house and the rebuilding of my thumb by the northwests finest plastic surgeons, I was finally able to go back to my favourite hobby and I decided to start from scratch.

So for the past 8 weeks I have been refurbishing my Pink Triangle with a new sapphire bearing , carbon fibre and balsa top plate and arm board , carbon fibre bottom plate and a new maxon dc motor .

Well for the past 4 weeks , ive been experimenting with Springs. The PT as a subchasis which is suspended by 3 springs in tension[ not comprehension like the LP12] and every time i put it back to together, regardless of the springs including the originals , I could see counterweight on my roksan Tabriz zi rocking from side to side . This rocking could also be seen on the cartridge clips . The energy between the motor pulley , belt and platter was exciting the subchasis causing the sub chassis to move from side to side on its 3 springs which was in turn moving the tone-arm .

Now even a technical nincompoop like me knows that can’t be good for the little diamond tracing those lovely vinyl grooves . It also occurred to me that nobody[ except the fruitbox] seems to make suspended sub chasis TT anymore not event Pink Triangle [ funk firm ] and whilst I can appreciate the theory of isolating a subchasis from the plinth I could find no real appreciation as to why they used springs . So after experimenting with several different tensions , I abandoned springs and in thier place put three threaded bolts .with rubber washers and nuts . So the sub chassis is now suspended on bolts which run from top plate . Only the rubber washers touch the subchasis but it simply cannot move from side to side . The thing is levelled by tightening or lossenig the nuts causing the subchasis to rise and fall .

Going back and forth from bolts to springs is a pain ,so thankfully it is immediately obvisous it sounds so much better . Extensive tests with my old speakers , headphones and the bloody wharefedales confirm it is better obviously and immediately in every way . I do miss the platter bounce but not when you put 180gm album on and you have to re-adjust it!

So now I have a none bouncy pt . :o

P.s – to be fair to PT , I cannot tell if all original anniversary’s suffer from this because mine as not had an original motor on for a very long time and I did not look when it did . I do however have an original PT export with AC motor and it does suffer from this problem but the motor is on the top plate not the subchasis .

pps- next im moving on to the speakers for which ive got some LS1 which as been sat in a cupboard for the past 10 weeks .
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Dan why put yourself through all this unnecessary pain and suffering.......The solution is quite simple........ :idea:

Get shot of yer Pink thing, buy yer self a Techie 1210 or any other fine Jap DDTT............ :dance:

Then get back into the music without the heart ache.....Simples...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Daniel Quinn

If you can find me a DD with wooden plinth , acrylic platter and inverted sapphire bearing at a reasonable price i'd be willing to listen . :mrgreen:

I have also listened to a standard techy in my previous house and i didnt like it , it sounded shut in like a fm radio , but it did have the standard arm and mm cartridge on it .

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

If you can find me a DD with wooden plinth , acrylic platter and inverted sapphire bearing at a reasonable price i'd be willing to listen . :mrgreen:

Nice one Dan - Finding said beastie could be somewhat problematic.......... :lol:

I have also listened to a standard techy in my previous house and i didnt like it , it sounded shut in like a fm radio , but it did have the standard arm and mm cartridge on it .

Well my bog standard 1210 arm & mm cartridge sound sweet as a nut - So perhaps its a synergy thing (check my system below).......... :think: :?:

A fair bit o NVA in the chain.............!!!!!!!!!!