Grado SR80 Appreciation Thread.

All general audio posts go here.
seawitch
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Grado SR80 Appreciation Thread.

Unread post by seawitch »

OK this is NVA forums, not a headphone forum, and I don't want to always talk about 'my thing' so I will be brief and leave it at that.

Took of the distancers on my ms1's and put back the cut comfies blu tacked to some thin foam carpet underlay of the same shape to bring the pads out from the drivers a tad, and punched two more holes in the drivers (4 holes total).

I don't know if they burnt in, or I burnt in, or the stars in the sky burnt in, but these cans are MUSICAL (in capital letters), and astounding value for money. Have not used speakers for two weeks.

I like Grado very much. Happy new year all.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

And a happy New Year to you too, Seawitch. :guiness;

This is a forum for all things Hifi and many/most of us are headphone users, with certainly a good few Grado-fans amongst them.

Interesting to follow your Mods to the MS-1's but punching holes in drivers ??? You'll have to give us more info on that - it sounds rather destructive. although I remember modding a pair of Sony in-ears many years ago which meant taking the things apart to remove a 'bio-cellulose filter' (round piece of paper) from the drivers.

I have had my share of Grado's too: the SR80's are still lying around and their extreme clarity is occasionally needed. One of my sidelines is Dutch-English translation, including subtitles for promotional films. It can be very difficult to make out exactly what people are saying sometimes, but the SR80's give far better definition than many more expensive cans. After a hour or so they can get rather too tiringly bright but they do have their uses.

The SR325i I had for a while but found it too heavy, very uncomfortable and excessively shrill. Sold that. And the SR225e, my favourite Grado, is currently on permanent loan to a friend who is a big fan of Classical Vocal music and he loves them.

I've heard the RS2 as well. Very nice and 'woody'.

These days I'm content with 3 pairs of AudioQuest headphones: original NightHawk, NightHawk Carbon and NightOwl Carbon.
:music-listening: :music-listen: :music-listening:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

seawitch

Unread post by seawitch »

Ok punching two holes in = 'vent mod'. There ten holes in the frame surrounding the driver that are covered with a thin material, and punching holes in the material allows more bass. The ms-1 came with two stock holes punched, i punched two more. i also removed (snapped out) the plastic grills.

I have since treated myself to a pair of GH-1 with the maple cups, and use them everyday since the start of the year. These also have four holes punched out, but the drivers are glued in a 'mirror' like fashion to each other ie. each side is matched, whereas the MS-1 driver are glued in any old way and are not lined up together. I wonder if the lower priced cans are like this on purpose so lower sound quality.

Have not gone back to ms-1 yet to compare but remember them being a bit more open and clear, maybe less detailed and textured? Im not game to find this out just yet i may like them more than the GH-1 :shock:

Have not commented on my NVA amp yet because i'm always on the headphones!!! but my first impressions of NVA is very detailed, tight, perhaps a tad cool with a touch of hardness in there somewhere with Royd Edens, bit still to play around with sources, etc.

Bourneendboy

Unread post by Bourneendboy »

I have been using Sennheiser HD600's for a long time now, but recently picked up a pair of SR80E and am really enjoying them. The very open 'live' sound is something I hadn't realised I was missing, it's great with the Grado's.
However, compared to the 600's I think they lack refinement and can sound a bit coarse through my hp amp. Could the SR225E be the headphone I'm looking for?
Unfortunately, it seems to be the model not stocked by Richer or Sevenoaks, so proving difficult to demo.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I have the 225e. I find them much better balanced than the 80. Still quick, detailed and fun, but enough bass and noit screechy.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Bourneendboy

What about the 225e - 325e comparison, these are the two that are potentially in my price range?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Not done that one. I worked (borrowed) my way up the price range until I found one that had an acceptable balance but kept the boogie factor.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I didn't like the SR325 (had the 325i version). Finding the massive metal shells to be uncomfortably heavy and cumbersome - the sound was also piercingly shrill to my ears and I quickly got ear-fatigue when using them.

The SR225e (my set is out on loan to a friend who says he wants to keep them) is the best Grado I have yet heard; a smooth and rich sound (for a Grado) with the usual pin-point accuracy. Light and comfortable, like most of the SR range.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Bourneendboy

Cheers fellas!

I might have to try the 225's from Amazon, can't see them anywhere local to me.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I really like the 325e. Bought them over four years ago after a comparison with similary priced head phones at Richer Sounds.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc