Ask a designer

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Ask a designer

Unread post by Lindsayt »

One of the things that I like about my huge American speakers is that they do come alive at very low volumes. Probably something to do with the sufficient bass cone area that creates bass pressure waves at low volumes. But then my American speakers are very different to modern mainstream stuff.

PS Audio are just using reverse engineering marketing there. Their amps are high powered. So they come up with some surface logic marketing speak that makes it sound like their amps are better, even with high efficiency speakers.

With high efficiency speakers it's all about the quality of the first micro to tens of milliwatts. It's not about having enough power to deafen you and blow the speakers at the same time.

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Agree with you there Lindsayt.
The muscle amps Ive heard sound shit.
It aint the amount of watt's you produce it's the quality of those watt's.
And a 50W system with efficient speakers will go just as loud as a 500W one with less efficient speakers.
:guiness;

CageyH-FX1200

Unread post by CageyH-FX1200 »

Hi Doc,

Is there any particular reason why you don't use the braided shield in the construction of the SSC? It is obviously not necessary or you would do it.
The reason I ask is that I am lead to believe that it helps reduce RFI if it's connected at one end only? So what is the truth on this?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is some truth BUT I make my own choices. By connecting the screen you create more problems than you cure (classic audio compromise situation). Using the screen as neg in a shotgun config doubles the capacitance but by not using it halves the capacitance. Where as the braid still acts as screen even if not connected at about 70% efficiency just because it creates a metalic barrier.

Usual hi-fi forum lack of understanding and bullshit comes in here. You will only hear waffle about interference coming in and the need to block it, so what about a screen blocking signal emf from getting out and reflecting it out of phase ;)

selby

Unread post by selby »

Hi Doc

I'm refurbishing some speakers, Loth-X lovely sounding things, I'm currently deciding between some nice oak cabinets and getting my friend who's a stonemason to build replacement cabinets out of a dense man made artificial stone. I'm think thick, dense, heavy cabinets would work in the same way steel plate lined or the NVA thick acrylic works.

You'll be happy to know only a single capacitor (MKP-FC 1.50uFJ 400v) used in the tweeter wiring (not sure if it's even classified as a crossover if only a single capacitor).

As well as the new cabinets being made I want to use new binding posts, capacitors and internal cable. My question is from looking http://www.hificollective.co.uk/ there any many brands (Mundorf, V-Cap, AudioNote) of capacitors and 100's of different cable options.

I want to avoid the BS but am looking for good quality/correct replacement.

So what internal cable would you recommend?
What brand of capacitors would you recommend?
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Per usual there is money making overpriced bollocks going on. I use LCR (company name) caps from Farnell and they are fine.

All cabinet materials are different but more rigidity and weight is always better.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Selby , you seem to have forsaken a resistor on the tweeter , does this mean you are using drivers of the same sensitivity ?

How have you arrived at 1.50 uf ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I think it is a kit speaker.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I see :)

selby

Unread post by selby »

What about good internal hook up cable?

Here's a link to the speakers in question: http://dagogo.com/loth-x-bs1-bookshelf-speaker-review for me they produce the most wonderful 3D like sound. You feel like you're surrounded by a lovely sound, the sort of speakers you can listen to for hours.

I first heard them when a friend of mine got a pair, I instantly wanted a pair but never found any. He managed to find another pair but the cabinets were absolutely disgusting hence the refurb.

I got the capacitor value off the actual capacitor, see photo.

My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors