Shahinian Speakers.

All general audio posts go here.
southall-1998
Wales

Shahinian Speakers.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Never heard any speakers by Shahinian.

What about you? They certainly look eccentric.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shahinian Speakers.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yea! for semi omnis.

southall-1998
Wales

Sometimes the Obelisk speakers catches my eye! Can't comment as I've not heard a pair.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

By all accounts they are very good - expensive though.......Never heard em. :think:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

They fill the room like Cubes.

southall-1998
Wales

I'm capable to afford cubes but not Shahinian Speakers. Even when second hand they are still expensive!

s.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Amorphous sound can be captivating, especially if you aren't sitting in one place to listen. We had the smaller ones (Obelisks?) and they could really entertain.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Live acoustic music is "amorphous" :roll:

The only live source of music that behaves even remotely like a point source hi-fi is a PA system :ugeek:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Studio recorded music such as I most often listen to is multi-mono with added reverb for 'atmosphere.' I still want to hear it from a control-room perspective, not an audience one. My choice - and I do remember B&O clients of ours with bigger model Sonabs (OA7's?) and liking the way the music came out; again, from a non critical listening standpoint :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Why do people think that music should be reproduced as the studio monitors do it and as the engineer hears it - it is total delusion as most studio engineer will tell you. As any engineer will tell you he hears what he hears as a job not for pleasure and he sets his system up to tell him *information about the recording*. Worst case is people on forums bragging that the speaker they own were used in such and such recording studio, as though it lifts their ego to that of a well known recording engineer - sheer fantasy!!

Music is as music does and I have worked in studio control rooms and on the desk on large PA rigs, another fantasy copied for some home hi-fi :roll: By far the best recordings I have ever made (and I wish I still had them) were with a fig 8 pair to a Tascam 2 track reel to reel. Or some of the recordings we did with the Teac creative centre.

Quite simply natural music of any sort is not point source, nor should it pin you in one spot, that is just hi-fi system delusion. Proper speakers (they don't have to be semi omni) used in a proper music system should allow you to move around and not distort the music. It should become part of the acoustic (room), and the equipment should disappear sonically and just emerge from and merge with the acoustic.

My opinion. :ugeek: