NVA AMPS HERE

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: NVA AMPS HERE

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I much prefer to listen to amps as they run in, it is a fascinating and helpful process and helps you to understand your system. They will be up by now with only little improvement to come.

Another bit of help. Use Shane to move things or listen and if the Maggies are bass light then move them bit by bit further back to the rear wall until the bass notes start to muddle and the sound starts to thicken, then you have gone too far. Maggies are very much misunderstood, they are dipoles so need to interact with the back wall for their bass performance. Also change the angle of the speaker in 5 /10deg inpliments and you will see (hear) the sound stage change from flat to 3d to inverted if you go too far.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Interesting little article here... http://www.drhifi.net.au/Hi-Fi/Subwoofers/1.htm about using TWIN REL's in a two channel system.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

slinger wrote:Interesting little article here... http://www.drhifi.net.au/Hi-Fi/Subwoofers/1.htm about using TWIN REL's in a two channel system.
Now that almost makes sense.

lonergan2468
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by lonergan2468 »

Ok, have moved the left maggie in..as there was an imbalance..hard to explain..the left hand side of the listening area opens to lower porch area...now equal background, and moved them back a tad..Bob Marley Rat Race has a lot more bass.....Getting there.....

Check the pic..maggie on left now moved in to right..LOL[img][IMG]http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y519/Tadgh_Lonergan/room5_zpse3173071.jpg[/img][/img]

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y51 ... 173071.jpg

Of course, the NVA equipment is there, now, both amps on dedicated stands...
Last edited by lonergan2468 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lonergan2468

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I much prefer to listen to amps as they run in, it is a fascinating and helpful process and helps you to understand your system. They will be up by now with only little improvement to come.

Another bit of help. Use Shane to move things or listen and if the Maggies are bass light then move them bit by bit further back to the rear wall until the bass notes start to muddle and the sound starts to thicken, then you have gone too far. Maggies are very much misunderstood, they are dipoles so need to interact with the back wall for their bass performance. Also change the angle of the speaker in 5 /10deg inpliments and you will see (hear) the sound stage change from flat to 3d to inverted if you go too far.
Yes, sub gone now..I agree...lovely when it starts to kick in....

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Looks an unusual and complex room structure it will be difficult or fun depending on your mind set to tune the Maggies into it.

lonergan2468

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Looks an unusual and complex room structure it will be difficult or fun depending on your mind set to tune the Maggies into it.
Ok, LOL, the listening room was a garage, when we moved in had it converted. The adjoining room down 2 steps is the porch room,,,fairy big for a porch. I could have used the living room which is much longer and 13 ft wide at one end..however wife is settled in there, she has her big samsung tv etc...The garage room is well isolated, concrete floor...wheras the rest of house is timber frame building..NASTY for hifi..and wood floors as basement beneath...strangel;y enough the Maggies are working in the music room....Dave Crawley heard them and agreed.....Just now I am listening to Mike Fleetwood blues band....the NVAs are really belting it out, and the weight and depth is kicking in....my wife complimented one of the guitarists...THATS GOOD NEWS.....

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

in my view, it's a shame to use a subwoofer with big Maggies (or any big panel) if you can avoid it. They are just different types of sound.
That's why many folk (me included) have trouble with electrostatic hybrids (like most Martin Logan etc) - the box bass and panel mids just don't integrate properly.
Enjoy the 'panel bass'. It really is different from 'box bass' and is quite addictive, you just need to allow yourself time to tune in to it.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)