Has thanked: 0

Re: Macca's System Blog

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Done.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Doc mods would be a lot cheaper and far more musically effective than adding all the RFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC complication crap to a basically good design. Dope the cones and you wont need the inductors. Remove the wadding and be shocked at the clarity. Add steel plate and the bass subjectively goes down an octave because of the gained LF clarity.

brit-pop
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by brit-pop »

Macca wrote:
brit-pop wrote:The extra bass with my biwired ls5 took a bit of getting used too. We were watching a film last night where the dialogue was quiet and i had to turn it up, then there was a massive explosion and gunfight. I got quite a shock and the cat went running out of the room...

Martin you've heard my speakers before and they're not exactly bass monsters but it was hiding in them until the ls5 went in. I should also add the extra bass hasn't been at the expense of the mid and treble which are still clear as a bell.
Bollocks maybe I should have gone for the lS5 then. Richard can you change my order and I will paypal you the difference?
I'd don't think you'll be disappointed, the biwire option was also worth the extra for me to be done with the horrible jumpers I was using. Always knew they were a weak link and bloody glad they're gone.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Doc mods would be a lot cheaper and far more musically effective than adding all the RFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFC complication crap to a basically good design. Dope the cones and you wont need the inductors. Remove the wadding and be shocked at the clarity. Add steel plate and the bass subjectively goes down an octave because of the gained LF clarity.
The 'wadding' in them is just fluff it will be making zero difference to anything.

All I want to have done is replace the binding posts with something serious, check crossover components for spec and replace any that are out. Maybe put the xover external. Otherwise I want to keep them stock. If you heard them you would understand I think. I'm still looking for another set I that can experiment with. Mainly building the bass driver into much larger cab. No luck so far.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

"take the crossover external" :roll: answer - get rid of the crossover. It is so simple it wont be hard to do. You will end up with a couple of protection caps and maybe some padding resistors.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

"The 'wadding' in them is just fluff it will be making zero difference to anything."

Then why the resistance at removing it and proving me either right or wrong.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Because it is not like modding some JPW or Goodmans or whatever which were not that great as stock anyway and there are thousands around. These are old and rare and good and I'd rather keep them as stock as possible.

I want a 2.5 m set LS5 but there is no option for that. 2m is not quite long enough. Can that be an option? Would rather not spend more than I need to although it is not a big deal.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I will put a set up for you.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Macca