Macca's System Blog

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Macca's System Blog

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am doing this for you as I want to prompt some thought. When a system gets to a good level of window cleanliness one of the over riding remaining problems with the view is mains related. If you are getting day by day variation or especially time of day variation then it is mains related not cable run in related.

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Re: Macca's System Blog

Unread post by Macca »

Thanks. I was going to raise this with you but wanted more time first. I've had suspicions about my mains before so not ruling it out. It's the time thing that doesn't fit though. Almost all my listening is at the same times on the same days. But I hear you about cable burn in, I've never found it to be an obviously observable phenomonon if it exists at all.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I've stated this before, but when I lived in Luton in the 90's, the mains definitely varied from day to day, both for me with AVI and active ATC's (it was the latter that really suffered) and a pal at the other end of the estate with an all Linn system. One day every week, it was awful and I just didn't bother. Vauxhall were still very much in evidence back then, but I'd have thought they'd generate their own power, as the docks do here at t'other end of town.

Here, the systems both sound fine all day every day and it's my ears which dictate the sonics (I have an adult version of glue-ear I was told, as well as Tinnitus, the former of which comes and goes when it bloody well likes :() . It doesn't mean I can't hear differences, but bad TV sound and mumbled speaking is more difficult for me to decipher now.

Sorry, don't mean to thread crap. I'm sure the BMU makes a worthwhile difference to those that need it - the transformer's bloody big enough ;)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I recently sold my mains regenerator and am actively trying to buy it back!
With the BMU running everything the system sounds great and I thought I could put up with the mains induced hum/buzz so I sold the regenerator as I thought it was expensive overkill. I was wrong. my mains is madly variable. As I sit eating my breakfast every workday morning at 07:45 EVERYTHING, including the BMU starts buzzing/humming like mad and then settles after a few minutes. At all other times the BMU runs silently but the A80's vary from a mild hum to quite a loud buzz. I honestly don't listen often enough to make a valid comparison of sound quality at various times but I would bet it varies quite a bit.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You have got some factorie(s) near you powering up at 7.45am. I think you have every right to complain to your supplier as if they are injecting that much shit back into mains then they are behaving illegally, and it is the responsibility of your supplier to find out who is doing it.

It is not just hi-fi but everything with a motor like fridge or freezer will have its motor life cut.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Macca wrote:Thanks. I was going to raise this with you but wanted more time first. I've had suspicions about my mains before so not ruling it out. It's the time thing that doesn't fit though. Almost all my listening is at the same times on the same days. But I hear you about cable burn in, I've never found it to be an obviously observable phenomonon if it exists at all.
Burn in is a silly expression, but I suppose we must have a name. Well what ever you call it it exists, but it doesn't come and go, that is my point. My point is *if* it is the case, and *I* think it is the case that the cable has cleaned the window a lot, then existing problems that weren't so apparent become more apparent, and the only thing that has a variable quality like you describe is the mains.

BilliumB

Unread post by BilliumB »

I recently picked up a second hand DC Blocker for just the £8 cost of postage, it's an old sjostrom audio board (see sjostromaudio.com DCT01) fitted in a plastic box with a couple of 13A sockets on the outside and a fairly thin captive lead feeding it from the mains. I simply connected it in the supply to my isolation transformer (an old Ben Duncan box that I also picked up second hand some months ago) - this in turn feeds my system (Squeezebox Touch, Jolida Dac, Conrad Johnson CA200 amp, Amphion Xenon II speakers).

Before fitting the DC Blocker, I got regular 'mechanical' buzzing from the amp (I assume from the 600va toroid), and to a lesser extent from the isolation transformer toroid (1000va); with the DC Blocker in the mains feed buzzing has been VASTLY reduced at all times and though the DC Blocker must be increasing the impedance of the supply somewhat, to my ears the sound quality/musicality of the system has improved considerably - 'cleaner windows'.

I wonder if transformer buzzing causes more system problems than just the noise of the buzzing itself.

Cheers. Bill

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You throw out the baby with the bathwater. DC blockers really ferk up the music.

BilliumB

Unread post by BilliumB »

That's not what has happened in my experience - that's why I posted!

Cheers. Bill

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is good to get your opinion Bill, but general consensus is with me, but we are all individuals with individual needs from our systems. Myself personally I would prefer to live with a little hum than put up with the compression effects from a DC blocker.